Fueling the Onex

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Fueling the Onex

Postby onex28 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:45 pm

Having helped my mother can fruits an vegetables into quart and pint jars I have an idea on how I might fuel my Onex through the windscreen to eliminate or minimize fuel spills. What successful methods have you Onex drivers used to fuel your planes? Also, what pitfalls to avoid and precautions to take..

David
onex28

Re: Fueling the Onex

Postby dallen » Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:05 pm

Hi Dave, So far when fueling my Onex I use gas cans, never at the pump (yet anyway). I also place a plastic cover over the front part of the windshield which has a hole cut into it at the filler spot and always use a funnel.
It is something to be concerned about. One of Sonex flying buddies split a little gas on his windshield and did have to replace it..
Dave Allen
dallen

Postby Onex107 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:32 am

I experienced a cracked windshield before reading the small notice in the manual about it. Even a small drop will cause a small crack. I used black kitchen contact paper to add a shielded area around the hole. It's a couple of inches larger than the hole on the top side and tapers down to the front edge where it's wider. I don't use a funnel, just the cans, but I do stuff a towel in around the tank opening to catch any small drops. Two of my tanks have valves that let me position the tank before pouring. Two others are the kind with the spout stuck inside, and these I am able to aim the spout while tilting and hit the hole before it enters the tank. We tested the windshield material in gasoline and it does not effect it until you bend the test piece. The stress on the surface, caused by the bend, is relieved by the fuel and a crack results. I wonder if a little heat applied to the bent plastic would relieve the stress?
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby onex28 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:29 pm

Thanks Dave and Morrie, I'm going to frequent kitchen gadget stores and see if I can find the right funnel and protective sheet (maybe silicone) to use. Will also have to carry a gallon refueling can in the baggage to use on trips. Where I currently fuel the fuel pressure is so strong that I couldn't fuel the Onex there.

David
onex28

Postby Giles P. » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:17 pm

I tried 5 gal. cans to start with bit got some gas on windshield. Only takes a few sec. to cause small cracks. So I build a fueling trailor. Got an electric pump from Home Depot. Made a float gauge from brass tub and cork for float and put it in the tank neck and pump gas. Works great with no more spoils. One of the best things I've done for my Onex.
Giles P.

Return to Onex