new to the list

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

new to the list

Postby dfcpac » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:39 pm

hi all
i'd like to introduce my self my name is dan carley. I've recently purchased a onex 127nx it about 90 present complete. I have of course a few questions if any one can help me out.

I have the revemaster 2300 engine installed. I have to make the engine baffles. does any one have drawings or templates I can use? also on the bottom cowl, I have to make a scoop for the carb. any ides on how to make that. if there is any pictures or web sites I can go to please let me know

thanks in advance
daniel carley
dfcpac

Re: new to the list

Postby dfcpac » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:05 am

is there anyone using a revmaster 2300 in there onex? would like to ask a few questions. are there any onex owners in the north east area?

dan carley
dfcpac

Postby SonexN76ET » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:10 pm

Dan,

I have not run across anyone who has installed a Tevmaster in a Onex. There have been a couple who have installed Revmasters in a Sonex. If you do a search on Revmaster on this site you will be able to see the Revmaster posts.

You can probably use the Aerovee baffles on the Revmaster with some minor modifications. The biggest visual difference between the Revmaster and the Aerovee is that the Revmaster is wider.

For your Revflow carb you will likely need to do some fiberglass work on the lower cowling to make allowances for the unique requirements of the Revflow carb.

Welcome to Sonex Builders! We look forward to hearing about your progress. Also, please make sure you attend the Sonex Transition Flight training prior to your first flight. I would also like to encourage you to attend a Sonex Builders workshop in Oshkosh.

Have fun building and learning!

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby Area 51% » Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:06 pm

It was my understanding that the workshops were discontinued sometime last year about the time the "B"s came out.

My wife and I thought it was a great experience. We had already purchased the fuselage and tail sub-kits at Airventure 2015, and coordinated the pick-up with the workshop in October. We felt like rock-stars while taking the warehouse tour. There was a pallet of boxes with our name on it.

That's Mr. and Mrs. Area 51% if you please.
Area 51%

Postby dfcpac » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:31 pm

hi jake,
thanks for the reply, i'll browse through the list to see what I can find.

regards
dan carley
dfcpac

Postby Onex 9138 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:50 pm

Dan,

I am just completing a Revmaster R-2300 powered Onex.
There are a few firewall forward differences to consider.
Firstly, the crankshaft is about 2 inches longer so the cowl will need to be extended.
I added 2 inches of glass to the rear of the cowls which worked out fine.
The scoop for the carburetor was done by making cardboard templates from which a foam block was shaped to suit. Fiberglass was added to this and then the foam removed before being attached to the lower cowl.
You will also need to add a slot for the lower oil cooler.
Also beware the markings on the cowls for cutting the head openings are in the wrong place for a Revmaster.
The baffles are very different to those on the Aero Vee so I would not waste the money on buying them.
There are drawings of the Onex/ Revmaster baffles online but if you cannot find them contact me directly. snelson330@gmail.com
Onex 9138

Return to Onex