Considering a Onex Build

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: Considering a Onex Build

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:51 am

Hi all,
I believe that there is a set of dvd's for construction videos for the onex build avbl from homebuilthelp.com. They also have a dvd for the construction of a sonex tail. . We have a set of dvd's for the zenith cruiser we are building. Its in addition to the construction manuel and plans. Would be great if sonex during a quickbuild would document the construction with video and develop a construction manual also. I think would help especially a first time builder.
And yes air ward , located in ca. Just north of sf, has many neat upgrade packages for the onex.
Also kaolin aviation offering a UL fwf. For the onex.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby N541X » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:36 pm

As a very happy Onex tri-gear builder, you might also consider the Sonex center stick model. Same aerobatic capability, but much better payload for cross country and room for a passenger if desired. Performance wise they are about the same with similar empty weight. Mine is about 625# with no paint, very close to the weight of a basic Sonex tail dragger. Unless you plan to store the Onex in garage or shed with narrow doors, there is really no benefit to the folding wings. As a note, my tri-gear won't fit under a 7' door as advertised, even with short tips, but a taildragger might. As far as gear conversion, limitations as noted in other posts, but it might be worthwhile installing a second gear cross member to make a conversion easier at a future time. Probably would add about 2#'s. Also sounds like you will be workng from high density altitude airports, so an aero-vee turbo might be a good option there.
N541X

Postby lgsievila » Mon Mar 27, 2017 10:25 am

Unless you plan to store the Onex in garage or shed with narrow doors, there is really no benefit to the folding wings.

I think there is much more benefit than mentioned above. We have two Onexs and one RV-4 in one regular sized T-Hangar so that cuts hangar rent to 1/3 for me. Also having built a trailer to haul my Onex, I can have it home to my heated shop in the winter in about 1/2 hour if I want to do a little work.

A tail wheel Onex with full length wings needs an 8' 6" high opening to get inside

Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Previous

Return to Onex