turtle deck skins

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

turtle deck skins

Postby bipbuilder » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:04 pm

Have rear fuselage clecoed together. I noticed the tension on the clecos with the skin in place on top of the turtle deck. Lots of small waves between each cleco. Was wondering if the rivets should be installed with the skin laid out flat on the bench or while clecoed to the formers. Also has anyone tried putting a small bend on each skin just off center line to relieve some of the tension on the rivets.
bipbuilder

Re: turtle deck skins

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:42 pm

I would rivet the turtledeck skins together while flat. I would not try to add a bend. I assume the Onex turtledeck is similar to the Waiex.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby lovtoofly » Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:29 pm

Hi
I put a small bend on each sheet with two long pieces of oak boards clamped to the skins before install and it worked well but hard to do. There is a lot of pressure on the skins there.

Len. Onex 152
lovtoofly

Postby ldmill » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:17 pm

Take a look at the alternative method I used when riveting my turtle deck skins together on the turtledeck spine - link below to my Expercraft log. Worked out very easy, was a non-event.
http://websites.expercraft.com/ldmill/i ... g_id=34602

Lorin Miller
Waiex N81YX - 230 hours and flying strong...
ldmill

Postby dhogue » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:21 pm

Recently completed the Onex turtledeck installation.
I riveted the two sides to the splice channel together, flat, on top of a table without pre-bending/shaping.
After installing the turtle deck assembly, per the plans, I have no waves between the skins and splice channel rivets.

Tip:
When riveting the turtle deck assembly to the turtledeck formers I did have to make small bends in the former tabs in order to close gaps between the former tabs and the inside of the turtledeck skin also when riveting the turtledeck to the formers I had someone pushing the tabs up into the inside skins before pulling the rivet. This worked out well as there are no dimples in the skin at the formers and was not the difficult process I originally thought it would be.
Don Hogue
Onex 0173: Tailwheel: AeroVee Turbo.
Horiz/Vert Stabs, Rudder/Elevators, Fwd/IB/OB/Aileron Bellcranks on Ribs and Main Fwd/Aft Center Wing Spars, Fuselage : Complete.
WIP: Wings
dhogue

Return to Onex