Rudder pulley location on former #4/Rudder cable routing

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Rudder pulley location on former #4/Rudder cable routing

Postby ferstlesque » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:42 am

IMG_1154.JPG
First-time poster here, hoping someone can provide some advice on the rudder cable system as it relates to the rear fuselage.

I've measured and drawn out the position of the two rudder pulleys (C-02-15) as they attach to the front of former #4 (http://www.sonexaircraft.com/documents/ ... L_RevB.pdf), but the pulley on the right side of the fuselage (left side of photo and .pdf), when placed 1 61/64" from the center ref hole, does not jive with the other given measurement: that the 1/2" diameter cable routing hole be centered 1 5/64" from the right edge of the former. In order for the pulley to line up with the hole, I must shift the pulley assembly towards the center of the former about 3/16". Am I correct in assuming the 1/2" hole 1 5/64" from the edge is the most important of the two references? This distance probably sets the exit point out of the fuselage side for the rudder cable.

Keep in mind I have an early kit... these holes may well be cut out in later kits. If so, it may make more sense just to buy a new former!

Second question, would one (or a few) users be willing to post pics of the inside of their completed aft fuselage? I'm interested to see your rudder cable routing, particularly around former #3. The plans require a hole be cut out of former #2, but #3 has no such cutout...

Thanks in advance!
Mark Ferstl
Tucson, AZ
Onex #40 taildragger
Wings, tail, flight controls complete; working on fuselage
ferstlesque

Re: Rudder pulley location on former #4/Rudder cable routing

Postby dhogue » Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:03 am

On mine (2014 kit) the cable holes and pulley bracket fastener holes were predrilled. The holes for the cables had to be opened slightly/per the plans.
One side is offset but less than your pic.
At work atm. Will post a picture tomorrow unless someone else gets there 1st.
Don Hogue
Onex 0173: Tailwheel: AeroVee Turbo.
Horiz/Vert Stabs, Rudder/Elevators, Fwd/IB/OB/Aileron Bellcranks on Ribs and Main Fwd/Aft Center Wing Spars, Fuselage : Complete.
WIP: Wings
dhogue

Postby WaiexN143NM » Thu Jun 30, 2016 11:17 am

Hi mark welcome to the boards! Good to see more onex people on here too. Not sure u need to order a new former. Relocating the bracket slightly if needed may do the trick! My father and i will be back to Tucson end of october for copperstate fly in.Would love to see your project again for a EAA tech counseler visit. Your project looks top notch! Keep building!
Waiex143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby onex28 » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:24 pm

Mark, I sent you a PM, let me know if you want photos.

David
onex28

Postby dirkverdonck » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:29 am

Hi, I had to adjust the cable routing as well, kit #117. Do not worry to make small adjustments to make things work. The OneX kit is not a pure assembly kit but an assembly-build kit!
Later after completing your aft fuselage, you'll probably will have to add another pulley to avoid the RH rudder cable touching the elevator control rod.
Dirk
onex #117
Dirk Verdonck
Leffinge, Belgium
Onex #117
Taildragger, Aerovee 2.1, MGL iEFIS, TRIG radio and Transponder, electric flaps, external elevator trim, shortened wingtips, hydraulic brakes, hightened seat pan, extra inspection panels, etc
dirkverdonck

Postby ferstlesque » Fri Jul 01, 2016 2:45 am

Thanks, all, for your replies. That's great to know the newer kits have the pulley bracket pilot holes pre-drilled; shelling out some cash for a new former sounds very tempting and worth consideration. The positioning must have to be very precise to align the cable correctly through the fuselage exit hole, with the correct angle off the pulley.

David, I replied to your PM. Would definitely appreciate some pics!

Michael, you're welcome to swing by and check out the project during the Copperstate weekend. The more folks that can offer advice on the project, the better! I will probably find myself leaning on the local tech counselors (one of which recently completed a Waiex) quite a bit more as I get further into the unknown territory of flight controls, rigging, and firewall forward.

Thanks again,

Mark
Mark Ferstl
Tucson, AZ
Onex #40 taildragger
ferstlesque

Postby dhogue » Sat Jul 02, 2016 11:17 pm

Pic of each side of the rudder cable pulley and bulkhead. on pre drilled pulley holes part ( I opened up the cable holes in the bulkhead).
Don Hogue
Onex 0173: Tailwheel: AeroVee Turbo.
Horiz/Vert Stabs, Rudder/Elevators, Fwd/IB/OB/Aileron Bellcranks on Ribs and Main Fwd/Aft Center Wing Spars, Fuselage : Complete.
WIP: Wings
dhogue

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sun Jul 03, 2016 12:37 pm

Hi mark,
Yep that is me and my father that swung by for a eaa tech counseler visit, enjoyed meeting you and your project. Yes we completed a waiex a couple yrs ago now. We keep it out at KRYN. Will be back end of oct for copperstate (and for the winter) Hope don helped you w questions about the pulley brackets.

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby ferstlesque » Mon Jul 04, 2016 6:54 am

Don,

Thanks for the pic, it's very helpful to see it all together. Looks like you're going with the flush rivet option as well.

In discussion with some other users and studying some reference material (including similar threads on this site), I've decided to install cable guides, made out of large cotter pins, at each pulley station to keep the cable from working its way out of the pulley. They'll be mounted so the contacting edge of the cotter pin is 1/16" from the end of the pulley.

Cable guides don't seem to be mentioned in the Onex plans anywhere.

Mike,

I was a little slow on the uptake there identifying you correctly here, thanks for stopping by a few months back. Just talked to your father Friday, I look forward to checking out your 750 progress when you get back in town.

Mark
Mark Ferstl
Tucson, AZ
Onex #40 taildragger
ferstlesque

Postby paulonex » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:19 am

Just my opinion, not directly on topic. It takes very little load on these brackets to cause "Oil Canning" in the former. I have no good way to calculate the load but could "Oil Can" with one finger and that is "NOT" strong enough for a control bracket in my opinion. To help this problem I added a small angle that attaches "spans" the two brackets using the top holes in the brackets . Now ten times as strong. Added .01 pounds.
paulonex

Next

Return to Onex