Bending Nylaflow Brake Line Tubing

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Bending Nylaflow Brake Line Tubing

Postby Don_P » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:41 pm

Does anyone out there know a convenient way to put a permanent bend in the Nylaflow tubing provided with the Sonex AeroBrake system? By this I mean a bend of perhaps 90 degrees, one with a fairly tight radius of around 3/4 inch.
Don
Onex 0095
N464D (reserved)
Don_P

Re: Bending Nylaflow Brake Line Tubing

Postby Don_P » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:26 am

After writing this post, I did some experimenting with bending the Nylaflow tubing and found that it's fairly easy to do using a heat gun. Just grip one end of the tubing in a soft-jawed vice and gently bend the other end around a spindle while heating the bend area. Go slow and don't overheat it (takes much less heat than shrink-wrap tubing). After bending, hold the tubing in place until it's cool to the touch. I limited my bends to about a 1-inch radius, but tighter radii could probably be achieved by supporting the inside of the tubing with a spring as is sometimes done with metal tubing.
Don
Onex 0095
N464D (reserved)
Don_P

Re: Bending Nylaflow Brake Line Tubing

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:05 am

Thanks Don_P for your post from 5 years ago. I'm about to do a couple of 90 degree bends in my nylaflow tubing to get it to run nicely. Has anybody else besides Don done this?

I figure if it doesn't work, I'll put in a section of aluminum line.

Edit: it worked.
viewtopic.php?f=39&p=46808#p46808
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Onex