Onex Gascolator in Wing?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Onex Gascolator in Wing?

Postby gcm52 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:01 pm

Is it feasible to put a gascolator, fuel pump and fuel filter in the wing of a Onex? I am thinking bottom surface of the wing is pretty low and it would be cooler there than on the firewall, plus it would free up firewall space. I have my big parts done and am kind of thinking ahead to engine installation. I am leaning toward a 100 hp rotax 912, or if I go nuts, a 115 hp Rotax 914. With the oil container on the firewall, plus a battery, that does not leave a lot of space for the gascolator, etc.
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Re: Onex Gascolator in Wing?

Postby surfly » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:55 am

George,
14 months after your post I wonder how you solved your gascolator question and how did you lay out your firewall. I am laying out my firewall on Onex 0176 and don't want to mount my gascolaior as per drawings due to my consideration of a clean uninterupted flow of engine cooling air out the bottom of my cowling.
Surfly
surfly

Postby Onex107 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:49 am

Consider not installing a gascolator. The last thing I did to cure the "burps" was to remove the gascolator because I couldn't insulate it properly. The direct fuel line from the through wall fitting is much cleaner. Sonex made it clear in the workshop that it's not necessary to this fuel system. It's an expensive part of the hardware kit and I tried to use it but, the fuel vapor problem is not to be messed with. When the engine dies every five seconds and it's difficult to maintain altitude, you won't hesitate to make changes.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby gcm52 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:00 am

Surfly, I just posted this a few days ago, so I have not resolved this.

Onex107, one solution to the "burps" is eliminating the gascolator, however I am wondering if a better solution would be putting it in the wing. I am old school and like to sump the fuel system to remove condensed water and sediment. I am planning on installing a Rotax, and because that engine is both air and water cooled, there might not be as much heat at the firewall and a gascolator might be OK there. However my issue is more about firewall space limitations, thus I am thinking about putting the gascolator in the wing.
George Mueller
Onex Trigear
Rotax 912 ULS
gcm52

Postby SvingenB » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:45 pm

Removing the gascolator is like removing the brain because of headache. It works, but ... :D

I have purchased the gascolator cooling kit from Airward. Havn't installed it yet, so don't know if it works, but looks to do the job cooling it with fresh cold air. With a Rotax you have to duct the air to/from the heat exchanger somehow anyway, so you are free to mount the gascolator anywhere (I would think?).
Reserved LN-ENX for Onex #134
Onex build log
SvingenB

Return to Onex