Rudder pedal placements

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Rudder pedal placements

Postby SvingenB » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:12 pm

It seems to me the default rudder pedal placement is way too fwd. I know they can be placed more aft, but even with the cushions in the seat they have to be awfully far aft? how much aft have others put them?
Reserved LN-ENX for Onex #134
Onex build log
SvingenB

Re: Rudder pedal placements

Postby 13brv3 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 8:33 pm

I don't think an NBA center could reach the pedals in the position they're shown. I haven't installed mine yet, but it looks like they won't be too far forward of that angle that's on the floor, and I'm 6'1" tall. It also seems awkward to actuate them with the angle of the seat bottom. The aluminum angle on the floor also keeps you from sliding your heels. I'm not quite sure how I'll end up placing mine.

Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby surfly » Mon May 02, 2016 6:59 am

I installed my rudder pedals in the forward position thinking that they might be too far forward also but with the idea of fabricating some blocking that will be through bolted to the pedal upper half for final fitting to my leg length if needed. I decided that trying to guess the perfect spot for my stature was next to impossible. Also the rudder cables provided in the kit fit well with the pedals forward and by moving the pedal location aft they would need to be shortened. This of course all has to be worked out before the glare shield installation.
Surfly
surfly

Postby Stogie6 » Mon May 02, 2016 8:42 am

I initially set my pedals forward (I am 6'-2" +/-). I mocked up my seat pan when I did this. After I got the pan set and installed the Sonex sold interior package for the Onex, I found that my feet were too far away from the pedals and could not push for full deflection. I thought about installing blocks on the pedals, but it was simple enough to reposition. Take a look at your seating arrangement and move as necessary. Better to be safe with foot placement vs. trying to reach for full rudder! As they say, just my $.02 worth.
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Based at KAWM and in the midst of Phase 1
Stogie6

Postby Klimek » Mon May 02, 2016 9:03 am

I also set my pedals forward to start with and built adaptors that fit the pedals so pilots of different heights could fly my plane. Found it just didn't work out and ended
up moving them rearward. It is easy to do without shortening the cables. This adjustment is done by relocating the holes in the aluminum bars that connect the pedals to the cables. I have two sets of holes in the floor outer angles in which I have installed bolts to fill them. In theory the pedals now can be moved in a matter of an hour or two. I"m 5'10" and the rear position is perfect.
Frank
Onex 090
~67 hours
Home being painted.
Klimek

Return to Onex