Gascolator location

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Gascolator location

Postby surfly » Mon Mar 21, 2016 2:09 pm

Where on the firewall have all you brother builders found that in your opinion is the best place to locate your gascolator? Any info on any firewall mounted parts is appreciated also. I built and put my battery box where the plans called for and want to finish everything that mounts to and goes through the firewall before my fuel tank installation.
Blue side up!
Surfly
surfly

Re: Gascolator location

Postby fastj22 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:22 pm

surfly wrote:Where on the firewall have all you brother builders found that in your opinion is the best place to locate your gascolator? Any info on any firewall mounted parts is appreciated also. I built and put my battery box where the plans called for and want to finish everything that mounts to and goes through the firewall before my fuel tank installation.
Blue side up!
Surfly

Many eliminate the gascolator to try to eliminate the burps (another glorious debate here). But if you decide to keep it, I used mine to pass the fuel through the firewall to the back side of the gascolator and at the lowest point you can. The engine mount will dictate that. Just drilled a hole for the NPT fitting and two mounting holes on either side. Keep in mind that the fuel line from the tank will need to keep clear of the rudder pedals as it connects to this nipple. Either centered between both sets, or between one set. But you don't want your foot to kick it at full deflection. Plan well, measure twice, drill once.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby sonex892. » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:03 pm

On my sonex. I welded an 025" chrome moly bracket to the engine mount. The drain is flush with the bottom of the cowl, access via a 1" hole.
Steve
Sonex 892
VH-ZSX 198hrs

Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby Onex107 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:10 am

I started with the gascolator mounted low and centered. It was the pass through the fire wall for the fuel line. After fighting the vapor problem, for what seems to be a long time, I removed it. It was very difficult to insulate from the cowl heat. An aluminum heat shield and a blast tube did not do the job. I think its more related to radiant heat than hot air. The last effort to insulate was successful for about an hour of flight time and then the vapor bubble problem started again. I gave up and removed it. My exhaust pipes are wrapped and my fuel line is insulated with foam pipe insulation, Menards, 100% and even the mixture valve end of the Aeroinjector. If you still have problems after all that, you can double insulate by using a larger diameter of pipe insulation over the first layer.
The addition of the enlarged cowl opening helped a lot. I suspect Sonex removed theirs for the same reason. The reason was not discussed, just the statement that you didn't need a gascolator in this fuel system for water separation, just a filter.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Return to Onex