Tie down location?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Tie down location?

Postby 13brv3 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:20 pm

Greetings,

I've seen some round holes cut in the wing folding handle in several pictures, and I'm wondering if that's what people are using as a tie-down location? I'm not sure if I can bring myself to use the handle for that, so hopefully I'm missing the real tie-down location.

Thanks,
Rusty (moving again...)
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Re: Tie down location?

Postby Kalibr » Thu Mar 03, 2016 11:24 am

I believe that's these holes are there for this exact purpose. From my limited experience, when you travel, bring a couple of strings of rope of a small enough diameter to fit into these holes -- the regular ramp tie-down rope would most likely be too thick to fit into these rather small holes.
Kalibr

Postby 13brv3 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:42 pm

My handles don't have any holes in the portion that sticks out below the wing. In pictures, and videos, I've seen large holes cut in other peoples handles, so I guess my question is whether they intend for you to make holes for a tie-down in the handle. Probably should have just asked Sonex since there's very little Onex activity on the forum.

Thanks,
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby 13brv3 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:56 pm

For anyone who might read this later. Sonex's reply was that they use holes in the handles for the tie-down, and they don't have another option. I'll end up adding a tie-down some other way, since the last thing I want is a tie-down rope yanking around on those handles.

Cheers,
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby Chigbee » Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:30 am

I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd bring it up because I'm wrestling with the same question. I intend to fly to and from work and I'll be tying down in windy KMHV so I need a stout solution and I'm not keen on putting a bending load on these handles in their minor axis.

What have other people done for tiedown options? I found this in some limited googling: https://www.airward.com/products/onex-t ... x-tie-down
Does anyone have experience with that setup? The skin seems like it'd be a bit flimsy even if it's near a joint, just seems like a bad option if the tie-down is anything but perpendicular to the skin at that point.

I'm open to anyone's ideas.

Thanks,

Chris
Chris Higbee
Onex #119, Aerovee, Zenith, Prince 54/44
Tehachapi, CA
Chigbee

Postby Mike53 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 8:46 am

Chigbee wrote:I know this is an old thread but I thought I'd bring it up because I'm wrestling with the same question. I intend to fly to and from work and I'll be tying down in windy KMHV so I need a stout solution and I'm not keen on putting a bending load on these handles in their minor axis.

What have other people done for tiedown options? I found this in some limited googling: https://www.airward.com/products/onex-t ... x-tie-down
Does anyone have experience with that setup? The skin seems like it'd be a bit flimsy even if it's near a joint, just seems like a bad option if the tie-down is anything but perpendicular to the skin at that point.

I'm open to anyone's ideas.
Thanks

I purchased 2 eye bolts with washer attached and drilled through an existing rivet on the outer spar ,then double nutted them.I purchased the eye bolts at Facca Fasteners in London Ont. Canada
Unlike the Airward ones ,the attachment is extremely strong . I would add a picture but have no idea how. I can supply one if you send me your e-mail.
Cheers
Mike
Chris
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby sonex1374 » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:28 am

I use a couple of stainless-steel gated snap clips inserted through the standard tie down eyelets. This allows a larger diameter rope to be used and is much easier to work with than the small eyelets. When I untie the airplane I simply remove the snap clips from the eyelets so they don't bang around under the wing in flight.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XCZ3HQG/?th=1

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby flyingbear » Sun May 23, 2021 7:46 am

I TIE MY ONEX DOWN USING THE WHEELS. i DO NOT HAVE WHEEL PANTS ON YET BUT IT HAS BEEN THROUGH SOME MAJOR WIND AND RAIN WITH NO ISSUES. OF COURSE i TIE THE TAIL ALSO .
GLEN B
Dr. Glen Bradley
Pilot for Thatcher Aircraft Inc.
Owns a CX5, flies the CX7 and a ONEX (recently completed)
flyingbear

Return to Onex