short vs long wingtips?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

short vs long wingtips?

Postby 13brv3 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:18 am

Greetings,

Just out of curiosity, how many people plan to use the short vs long wingtips? Has Sonex provided any performance numbers comparing the two? Of course the shorter tips probably have a slightly higher stall speed, maybe slightly faster cruise, and a little faster roll rate. I just wonder how much the difference really is.

I'm thinking there probably isn't a big difference, but on the practical side, someone did mention that the shorter tips allowed them to have a lower folded height for either a trailer or garage door (can't remember which it was).

Cheers,
Rusty (still debating turbo vs non-turbo)
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Re: short vs long wingtips?

Postby fastj22 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:37 am

I believe the longer tips are for plus sized pilots who want to keep the Onex LSA legal. Something to do with stall speed.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby 13brv3 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:23 am

fastj22 wrote:I believe the longer tips are for plus sized pilots who want to keep the Onex LSA legal. Something to do with stall speed.

You may be right. I'm 6-1 and 180lbs, so maybe I can qualify for the short wingtips 8-)

Cheers,
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:22 pm

I believe you're fine either way Rusty. If memory serves, the general guideline is that, for pilots over 200 lbs, it's recommended they go with the long wingtips so there's no concern with the LSA stall speed requirements. For pilots under that limit, they can choose to go either way. As you said the short wingtips offer faster roll rates and the airplane is a little shorter with the wings folded. The longer wings offer slower stall speeds.
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby 13brv3 » Wed Oct 21, 2015 12:46 pm

I suspect you're right Mike. The difference in empty and max gross weight allows for a pretty big pilot, and I should fall well under that if I don't make the plane too heavy adding other stuff (turbo, diff brakes, etc).

FWIW, I asked Sonex via email after starting this thread, and they said the longer wingtips were necessary to remain sport pilot compliant. I'm assuming that means at max gross weight though.

Fortunately, the wingtips are something I can decide on later, or not. I can easily imagine using screws to attach them, and being able to try both sizes. My more immediate decision is turbo or non-turbo, since I need to get the engine and prop ordered.

Cheers,
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Return to Onex