Headroom?

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Headroom?

Postby 13brv3 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 2:33 pm

Greetings,

New guy here. I looked at the Sonex years ago, and found out that I just didn't have enough headroom. At the time, I was even considering making it as a single seat to get a bit more room. I ended up going with another RV project, then got out of flying for a while, but now that I'm looking at new projects, I was really excited to see the Onex. It sounds like just what I'm looking for, right down to the way the wings fold.

Can someone with a flying plane, or a completed cockpit please measure the distance from the seat pan, to the canopy? That would really give me a good idea how much room I'd have. If you can measure without a cushion, that would be best.

I'm in Eastern TN, and I found a few builders listed in the area, but there's no contact info for any of them.

Thanks,
Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Re: Headroom?

Postby JT1974 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:06 pm

Rusty,

I'm 6'3" tall and have a 32 inch inseam so I'm longer in the torso. I'm currently building Onex 182. I sat in the factory Onex and had tons of legroom and headroom was fine with a one inch thick seat cushion. I didn't take a picture of me sitting in the Onex, but I did take a few of me sitting in the Sonex with the lowered seat mod. Click on my name and click "view all posts" and you'll find the thread where I posted pictures of me sitting in the Sonex with the lowered seat. The Waiex comes standard with the lowered seat.
Jason T
Onex 182
JT1974

Postby Rynoth » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:47 pm

Rusty, I live in Knoxville and have my Waiex (nearing completion) hangared in Rockwood at KRKW. Where do you live? The big sonex fly in Is happening in Crossville, TN soon, would be a great opportunity to check out different cockpit variations.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby 13brv3 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:33 pm

JT1974 wrote:Rusty,

I'm 6'3" tall and have a 32 inch inseam so I'm longer in the torso. I'm currently building Onex 182. I sat in the factory Onex and had tons of legroom and headroom was fine with a one inch thick seat cushion. I didn't take a picture of me sitting in the Onex, but I did take a few of me sitting in the Sonex with the lowered seat mod. Click on my name and click "view all posts" and you'll find the thread where I posted pictures of me sitting in the Sonex with the lowered seat. The Waiex comes standard with the lowered seat.

Hi Jason,

Thanks for the info. I found the pictures you were referring to, and that's about how I was in the Sonex as well. I figured the center would give a comfortable amount of room, but I'm a fairly skinny guy, and it just seemed odd to sit in the center of that cockpit. From your description of the room you have in the Onex, and the fact that they said they added more headroom, I'm pretty sure it would work out fine.

Cheers,
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby 13brv3 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:42 pm

Rynoth wrote:Rusty, I live in Knoxville and have my Waiex (nearing completion) hangared in Rockwood at KRKW. Where do you live? The big sonex fly in Is happening in Crossville, TN soon, would be a great opportunity to check out different cockpit variations.

Hi Ryan,

I guess I picked the right time to get interested. I'm currently in Vonore, so that's not far at all, and just two weeks away! It's almost spooky how good the timing and location is. I'll definitely be there 8-)

Thanks,
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:14 pm

For what it's worth Rusty, I'm 6'3", 240 lbs and I fit in my Waiex just fine. Remember the Waiex comes with the lowered seat modification but for me, even when sitting on factory cushions and while wearing a headset I have plenty of headroom. I've had people up to 6'5" sit in my airplane with no headroom issues.

I hope you're able to attend the upcoming Crossville Sonex gathering here in a few weeks! You'll see a lot of amazing airplane's there!
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby 13brv3 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:40 am

MichaelFarley56 wrote:For what it's worth Rusty, I'm 6'3", 240 lbs and I fit in my Waiex just fine. Remember the Waiex comes with the lowered seat modification but for me, even when sitting on factory cushions and while wearing a headset I have plenty of headroom. I've had people up to 6'5" sit in my airplane with no headroom issues.

I hope you're able to attend the upcoming Crossville Sonex gathering here in a few weeks! You'll see a lot of amazing airplane's there!

Hi Mike,

All good news about headroom. If the Onex has more than the other models, it should be a non-issue for sure. Hopefully there will be one at the fly-in.

As for the fly-in, the schedule I saw listed it as Oct 9th and 10th, which is a Friday and Saturday (two weeks from today). Is that still the schedule? I have to work Friday, but I'll definitely be there Sat morning.

Cheers,
Rusty
Rusty
13brv3

Postby Grendel » Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:04 am

Hi, I am in a training school here in Australia and do let me know how to measure without cushion like said "If you can measure without a cushion, that would be best." ?
Shopping of Rapee Cushions Online Australia.
Grendel

Return to Onex