Sonex brakes

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: Sonex brakes

Postby DCASonex » Sat Sep 19, 2015 8:34 am

If gear legs are secure and not able to twist, Are the axle nuts still as tight as when you installed them? If not, likely the bearing seats were not pressed fully into the wheels. Very often the wheels are supplied with seats only partially pressed into place. Those can be pressed in by finding a pair of sockets or stack of washers that just fit into wheel housings to press on outer edge of races. (Do not press on the bearings them selves.) Then put a long bolt or 1/2" threaded rod through the wheel and draw in the bearing seats. If using arbor press, back up the center portion of wheels, not the outer rims.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby avee8r » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:36 pm

I had the same thing happen on mine. Video showed it was the right main vibrating.
I checked and discovered the alignment was off so I re-mounted both axles and its been fine ever since.
While I had it apart I balanced the wheels too, it couldn't hurt.
Happy Landings
John
N50NX
avee8r

Postby ededoad » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:35 am

So far I have checked the alignment and it was right on. Checked the axle nuts and the right hand one was loose. Found the left brake is dragging, I'll try to fix that today. I have seen a few posts about the AZUSA wheels not being drilled properly and it looks like I got one. I will do a wheel balance before I try it again.

Thanks for the input will post results later.

Regards
ededoad

Previous

Return to Onex