Viability of OneX Trailering

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Viability of OneX Trailering

Postby WhiteOneX » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:52 pm

Has anyone done the homework on OneX trailering?

They mention it will fit in a garage, which is a nice thought, but how exactly do you get it from your garage to the strip? They imply that the aircraft cannot be trailered open with the wings folded. Has anyone found a good trailer that can actually fit what is still quite a wide aircraft, and has over 7' of vertical inside clearance? How easy is it logically to get the airplane in and out of such a trailer without scratching the aircraft? The wings fold quickly, but how quickly can you reasonably put the plane into and out of such a trailer (extra tall/wide horse trailer perhaps)?

I figure that before I think too hard, it might be easier to see if anyone has already found a solution or written it off. It seems it would be a lot simpler if the wings folded back against the body like a kitfox for that purpose. Thoughts?
WhiteOneX

Re: Viability of OneX Trailering

Postby SonexN76ET » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:29 pm

I have seen them put a OneX in a trailer at Sonex and take it out again. I think it is even in the Onex Video. In fact, I think Sonex even sells the trailers. I dont think it is a big deal to trailer it. The shorter wingspan option may be the more practical option for trailering, but hopefully some Onex owners will share their experience in practical experience.

You can put a winch inside the trailer with a control on a cord and help guide the airplane onto the trailer ramp and into the trailer while being able to control the winch.

I have put my Sonex in a trailer a couple of times while moving it. I did not have the height issue, but the plane was easy to get on and off a trailer with a ramp. The only thing I had to do was take off the tail tips on one side of the plane to clear the ramp door.
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby merle reppert » Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:45 pm

Recently I trailered my Onex on a 16 foot flatbed trailer with the wings folded up---
( about 50 miles at 61 MPH---( Californoa ) Strapping it down took a while but it was a one time move---I had moved it to the airport before without the wings on and it rode much better with the wings on --I made 1/4 X 1 aluminum straps to hold the wings up --
They were locked in place with the wing lock latching on the plane and bolted to the
wing spars -----If you were going to do this on a regular basis you could make a much faster
way to strap it on the trailer--Good luck

Merle
merle reppert

Postby Mike53 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 8:14 pm

I have to totally agree with Merle.With a little ingenuity all problems with transporting the Onex by trailer can be overcome.
It is my intention to build a trailer for the Onex that will not only move it from home to airport safely but also other than doing routine maintenance the trailer will be it's hanger,always ready to take to the airport and go flying.It's why I bought the Onex. No Hanger fees,a savings of at least$3000 per year.More than enough to build a Onex trailer hanger.After that it's just saving money to the tune of $30,000 in 10 years. :D
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby merle reppert » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:07 pm

You might want to check with your local airport on trailering in-----One guy locally
had a problem --They wanted tie down fees ---Even though he took it home ??
merle reppert

Postby onexpaul » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:50 am

I just moved my Onex project a couple weekends ago in a 14 foot trailer. We removed the back gate since it went up about 5 feet high and would interfere with the rudder which stuck out almost a foot. The inboard wing width is several inches under 8 ft stuck out over the trailer sides, the tail is a good bit narrower. The Onex wheels fit easily inside the bed of the trailer, which had a wooden decking.

It sure would be a lot easier to do when completed and wings attached. Check out the Optional Wing Locks posted in the Onex Revision Archive. Jeremy demonstrated these to me at the 60th Builders' Workshop in May.

http://www.sonexaircraft.com/documents/ ... NX-B05.pdf

Without the engine it wanted to sit on the tail skid so it was easy to let the nose wheel tilt right up on the bed of the trailer, two of us gave a little lift to get the main gear onboard.

Paul
Onex trigear project
Athens, GA
Last edited by onexpaul on Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
onexpaul

Postby Onex107 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 12:56 pm

I only moved Onex 107 one time, to the airport, without the folding wings attached. I built the wings after the fusalage and engine were completed. I share a T hangar with a Cessna 150. It requires that one wing be folded. The Onex only takes up one third of the space so I only pay one third of the rent. Very reasonable. I don't move the Onex in or out of the hangar without the wing lock brackets in place. I had a wing blow down in the wind. Never again. I have thought about the problem of doing a lot of trailering and wonder why you couldn't make short boots to go over the wing tips with tie downs attached running fore and aft from them and each other. That, along with the wing lock brackets would give a lot of support. The ailerons will have to be clamped also. Remember, they are wings, and the airplane will fly at 60 mph.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby SvingenB » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:27 pm

I don't know if trailering is the most practical. I think it's more that it needs very little hangar space.
Reserved LN-ENX for Onex #134
Onex build log
SvingenB

Postby nwyooper » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:47 am

I converted a boat trailer to haul my Onex. Can load/unload by myself in about 5 minutes. Another 15 minutes to tie down and on my way to airport. I share a hanger with an RV 4 and another Onex so just haul home to shop for maintenance.
nwyooper

Return to Onex