Onex Fuel Line

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Onex Fuel Line

Postby paulonex » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:09 pm

All
The Onex plans call for an aluminum tube fuel line from the tank to the firewall.
My question is there a good reason for this.
It seems to me a "rubber" fuel rated line would be safer.
No risk of cracking from vibration and if in a crash would not likely kink and leak.
I assume Sonex / industry has a reason, does anybody know why Aluminum?
Thanks in advance for the insight / understanding.
Paul
paulonex

Re: Onex Fuel Line

Postby SonexN76ET » Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:39 pm

Paul, that is a great question and I look forward to the answers. I know a great many of us do use flexible fuel line in the cockpit. I am using Russell hose with AN fittings in my Sonex.

The only downside I can see to the flexible hose with AN fittings is you are supposed to replace the hose every so many years per the hose manufacturer.

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby wlarson861 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:56 pm

Not sure about the Onex but the sonex fuel line routing would require several support points to keep it from sagging. The hard line is self supporting, is easier to install and cheaper. My fuel line goes straight from the tank through the firewall, then into a filter and then braided hose to the aerocarb.
Bill Larson
N861SX
Sonex, polished, tail wheel, Generation 4 Jabiru 3300
wlarson861

Postby onex28 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 12:50 pm

From the fuel cut off valve to the 45degree fitting through the firewall to the gascolator I have 12 inches of braided hose with AN6 fittings. For me personally it was more practical than trying to get this old guy to crawl under the tank to install AL tubing. I was able to attach one end to the gascolator fitting, install the tank, and attach the other end to the shut off valve while sitting in the seat. No sag in the line.

Onex 28
N951X (reserved)
onex28

Return to Onex