6" vs 4" tail wheels

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

6" vs 4" tail wheels

Postby surfly » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:49 pm

Thoughts and experiences please.

Surfly
surfly

Re: 6" vs 4" tail wheels

Postby nwawingman » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:03 pm

I modified my tail wheel bracket like Bob Mika did in his photo blog. Used a 5" Wick's tail wheel. Works great with better ground clearance, much quieter, and better ground handling.

http://www.sonexbuilders.net/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=125#p748
Rick Wantz - Arkansas
Sonex 367 T/W AeroVee/Aeroinjector - Prince Elliptical Prop <361hrs
1st Flight 7/13 KOSHX3 Young EaglesX14
http://www.mykitlog.com/wingman
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2TNLK ... A63FvnPkNA
nwawingman

Postby mike.smith » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:18 pm

I used a 6" Van's Aircraft wheel in a bracket made by Kipp Laurie. Much better ground clearance and much quieter. IMHO there is just no reason to stick with the little 4" wheel. There is no up side to it.
Mike Smith
Sonex N439M
Scratch built, AeroVee, Dual stick, Tail dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/mikesmith
mike.smith

Postby fastj22 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:25 pm

I used the Kipp 6 inch mod with the Vans 6 wheel. Worked great.
Then found a breakaway tailwheel from flyboysaccessories.com that only came in a 4 inch version. So I installed it with my stock 4 inch wheel and found myself loving the breakaway tailwheel, but missing the 6 inch wheel. So I welded extensions to it to accommodate the vans wheel. Haven't re-installed it yet, but I'm sure I'll enjoy both worlds. Of course the breakaway tailwheel requires differential braking but its fun to spin the sonex around at the run up like a Cub.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby DCASonex » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:29 am

I found a cheap 6" caster in surplus store, that looked like it could be modified for better bearings. When got it home found it already had a pair of sealed precision bearings. Made my own version of enlarged Sonex 4" bracket. Worked fine. Later revised bracket to drop the wheel down an other inch, and that was even better. Sonex then came out with their new 6' tail wheel bracket which looks like it would drop it even further. No ill effects seen from higher tail, just better forward visibility when on the ground. Since found that the wheel was a Colsun and got two more new ones for $15 each to keep as spares. 220 hours on original one and no need to replace it yet. Details in files section of old Sonex Builder's yahoo forum: Modifications to #1327.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby wolfpack3 » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:56 am

I was the one that created the Flyboy Accessories tail wheel bracket/mount for them and tested it. I have been very pleased with the results and have had no problems with the tailwheel wearing down. Although I would prefer a larger wheel than 4 inches, this one works fine and I don't notice any noise issue. It sure is nice not to require a football field of room to turn around in anymore!
Wolfpack3
Onex
Aerovee
Taildragger
wolfpack3

Postby surfly » Sat Aug 08, 2015 11:13 am

Thanks to all for your replies. Sonex gladly took back my 4" unwrapped tail wheel assembly for full cost credit towards the purchase of the 6" tail wheel assembly.

Building Onward!!
Surfly Onex 0176
surfly

Return to Onex