Nav/Strobe Lights

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: Nav/Strobe Lights

Postby Direct C51 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:15 pm

Robbie,

Can you elaborate on why the FSDO did not approve the power burst for nights? What criteria exactly did they not meet?

Thanks.

Nate
Direct C51

Nav/Strobe Lights

Postby Sonex1517 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:18 pm

Hi Nate

I wish I could. As many will tell you, each FSDO seems to be different. When my inspection was done by the DuPage FSDO the guy doing the inspection (who was awesome and very fair) said it was limited to day VFR only.

I asked why. He said it isn't equipped for night and pointed to my powerburst lights. Now if you read Aveo's website carefully, they are very particular about what they say. So the best I can come up with is the lights are not technically legal. I think by the letter of the law that may be correct but I plead ignorance on the details.

The regs are actually very specific and another local airport wag who knows our FSDO well said it is apparently the Aveo Powerburst lights that they do not like. Things were going so well I did not pursue the subject during the inspection. I fly Sport Pilot, so it does not affect me. If the airplane ever needs to be approved for night flight that can be done with the FSDO per the inspector. I am good with that answer.

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Tails and Wings complete - finishing fuselage.
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby ihab » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:43 pm

As a quick note, in case it helps: The Cessna C162 "Flycatcher" ;) I fly has one-piece nav/strobe lights on the wingtips, plus a landing light in the wingtip, all LED, and it is legal for night flight. So there must be at least *some* of these lights that your FSDO would accept without any trouble. Good luck!

Ihab
Ihab Awad, San Jose, CA
ihab

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:00 pm

Ihab,
There is no issue per se with LED lights. There are regs that specify brightness, color, and the angles you can view the lights from. A TSO is a shortcut that says the lights meet that spec. If the light is not TSO'ed and you want to use them at night then it is up to you to prove to the FAA that they meet the specs. Good luck with that! I think from Robbie's experience I will spend the extra bucks for a TSO set and be done with it. Fortunately landing and taxi lights are not required unless flying for hire, so any light will do. I was the lucky first responder for the Fresh Aero lights Dennis sold here on Sonexbuilders.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Nav/Strobe Lights

Postby Sonex1517 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:22 pm

I think Bryan summed it up nicely. I re-read the Aveo website this evening, then looked over some other online info. TSO lights are the way to go if you want to be able to fly legally at night.

Of course, as a Sport Pilot, I cannot. And then there is the tinted canopy, but that is a different subject.

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Tails and Wings complete - finishing fuselage.
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:10 pm

What is interesting is that you can order the AeroLEDs both with and without the TSO paperwork - same light - huh.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby sonex1678 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 10:46 am

For what its worth, I purchased the Whelen Orion 600's during one of the airshows at a "show special" price (TSO'd units but without the official TSO paperwork), and although not yet installed, I can tell you they are a very high quality and great looking product, and are very bright. They combine the position and anti-collision functions, as well as the tail light function. Sometimes I plug them into a portable power supply just for some additional motivation when something in the build overwhelms me. I also have the new duckworks 3-LED lights and they also seem like winners (nice complete installation kit, quality products, and also very bright). Since all the lights are LED, the current draw is minimal....

Doug
Douglas B Scripture
Sonex 1678
sonex1678

Postby Sonerai13 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:17 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:What is interesting is that you can order the AeroLEDs both with and without the TSO paperwork - same light - huh.

Yep, the only difference is the price! I have good experience with the AeroLED lights on a number of airplanes I am familiar with, and have purchased a TSO set that will go on my Super Cub this winter. Very nice product.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:23 am

Joe,
Clearly I would need a TSO set to put on a certified airplane. Do you think I would have any issues with the non-TSO set if I wanted my A/W cert to reflect day/night VFR? A big difference from the Aveo is that AeroLED does offer TSO lights.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Bryan Cotton

Postby Sonex1243 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:19 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Joe,
Clearly I would need a TSO set to put on a certified airplane. Do you think I would have any issues with the non-TSO set if I wanted my A/W cert to reflect day/night VFR? A big difference from the Aveo is that AeroLED does offer TSO lights.

This is very interesting, I am installing the AeroLED PULSAR EXP lights (used extensively on the Vans RV12) I bought this year at KOSH in case I ended up flying after dark. Where is the fine line drawn, if any, for experimental aircraft operating after dark? I would really be bumming if you have to have TSO'd lights no matter what.
Ken S
SONEX #1243 N424SX (reserved)
Tail complete, wings done
Fuselage on gear
Jab 3300 received!
Sonex1243

PreviousNext

Return to Onex