Strobe wire routing

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Strobe wire routing

Postby onex28 » Sun May 17, 2015 4:21 pm

I am looking for ideas on securing the wires passing through the wing fold ribs for ease of raising and lowering the wings. I've seen Stan's contact system but can't go that route. I have Molex connectors centered in the forward lightening hole of the center section fold rib. Ideas and photos appreciated.

David
onex28

Re: Strobe wire routing

Postby Klimek » Mon May 18, 2015 10:30 am

Dave, on my ONEX I have molex connectors and secured the wiring to the outer panels. On the inboard
Panels I also secured the wiring but left a little extra length of wire and mounted a spring to first rib inboard of the wing fold and attached it to the wiring just short of the connector. When the wing is folded, the wiring is pulld out of the inboard panel against the spring pressure so the connector is just short of being pulled out of the inboard wing panel. In folding the wing, the spring pulls the wiring back inside and prevents it from being pinched. You will have to experiment with spring lengths and tensions.
It works and works well. Be sure there are no places the wiring can rub, of course. I did all this prior to skinning the inboard panels. I don't even think about it when folding / unfolding.
You can reach me at my e mail if needed. flylite@cox.net
Frank
ONEX 090
N1970T
Ready for phase one testing
Klimek

Postby Klimek » Mon May 18, 2015 10:37 am

David, I'm not sure I have any pics, however I can sketch it out for you.
Please remember to cover all sharp edges an I also added a little extra
Padding / insulation to the wiring just to be safe
Frank
Klimek

Postby onex28 » Tue May 19, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks Frank, I emailed you privately..
onex28

Postby Onex107 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:49 pm

I ran my strobe wires through a larger piece of vinal tubing and secured one end inside the wind and added a spring to the other end to pull it into the wing when you close the joint. It's worked O.K. for 80 hours.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Postby onex28 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:06 pm

I ended up anchoring the molex connector to a standoff on the outer rib of the center section and pulling the excess wire through the outer wing panel using a light spring attached to the end rib. That gives me access to the spring and wire for inspection and maintenance.

ONEX 28
N951X (reserved)
N351D
onex28

Postby Stogie6 » Wed Sep 16, 2015 5:55 pm

This is what I worked out on my Onex. I installed a PVC tube in the outer wing panels and ran the wiring thru that. I then fed the other end thru the inner panel (no PVC). Then cut and spliced the wiring at the fold using male/female connectors. We had a roll of black computer "wire management" tubing and cut it in half - allowing the removal for the wings when transported. I clamped the outer section of the black tubing to the PVC. This allows the black section to fold nicely back into the inner wing panel. See the photos and email/call if needed.
Attachments
DSCN8461.JPG
DSCN8461.JPG (65.65 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
DSCN8460.JPG
DSCN8460.JPG (83.89 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
DSCN8457.JPG
DSCN8457.JPG (58.37 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
DSCN8456.JPG
DSCN8456.JPG (49.35 KiB) Viewed 3760 times
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Based at KAWM and in the midst of Phase 1
Stogie6

Postby achesos » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:44 pm

I added strobe lighting after the single conductor was installed into grommets in each wing rib, and the tips were riveted on. Now I have multi-conductor inserted into poly-tubing that is fed down the same lightening holes as the aileron push tubes. My quandary is how to constrain the tubing inside the wing without drilling out the rivets on the tips. Is this a deal breaker? Will there ever be a sign-off without some kind of attachment to keep the wiring from flopping around inside here? Any ideas on an alternative solution to drilling out all those rivets?
I'm ready to install the wings and get the weight and balance done, so I'm fighting the excitement and prefer to not take this leap backwards.
Thanks for any input.

Sean
Sonex N857SX
AeroVee, Taildragger, Dual Stick
achesos

Return to Onex