Wing lock drilling

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Wing lock drilling

Postby petep » Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:36 pm

What has been found to be the best installation /drilling sequence for install the outer wing and drill / ream the pivot bolts and locking pins?

Thanks,
Pete
Onex128
Sonex 1051
Waiex 69
petep

Re: Wing lock drilling

Postby onex28 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:13 am

Hi Pete, here is how I did the job. Both wings complete one and absolutely zero movement.

Hi Frank, thanks for the response. I finally used the the .373 dowel pin reamer (6 blade , 1 3/4"long cutting surface) for the AN 6 hole and a .376 reamer (6 blade, 2 1/2" long cutting surface) for the locking pin hole. I used a tap wrench to hand ream using lubricating oil. For the rear hole that I drilled to 1/4" andI progressively up drilled using O, P, Q, R, S, T and U drills before reaming. I finished the left wing today and there is absolutely no play or wiggle in the connection. I hope my right wing finishes the same. In my opinion, hand reaming is the way to finish the holes, much more control.

Yes my spar was prebuilt. I'm not able to work on the plane year around (because I'm old and slow and trying to be perfect) so I chose the prebuilt route. I hope to finish it next summer.

This post was on the "ONEX wing pins" thread.

David
ONEX 28 (N951X reserved)
onex28

Return to Onex