Electric power plant

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Electric power plant

Postby Darren S » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:24 am

I'm nearing the engine selection stage. I'm really considering using an electric power plant. Thing is I'm having g difficulty finding info to make an informed decision. Can anybody help?

Thanks,

Darren
Darren S

Re: Electric power plant

Postby daleandee » Tue Oct 28, 2014 11:46 am

Darren S wrote:I'm really considering using an electric power plant.

Darren,

Some time ago I was considering trying to assemble a small ultralight type electric flyer. Nothing serious but just a fun project. I quickly came to the conclusion that I didn't have enough "loose change" to get into that arena. But I did wind up here:

http://www.electricmotorsport.com/

Most of these motors are of too low an output for a Sonex (15 HP continuous and -30 HP peak). But they do show a 190 pound engine that delivers 85 HP peak, but continuous power is rated at 35 HP (26 KW).

http://www.electricmotorsport.com/ev-parts/motors/brushed-motors/sm300.html

I must also confess my total ignorance of what is required to even begin something like this so my suggestions here may be so far off the charts as to be laughable. Please do keep us updated on your idea, project, and progress. Very intriguing to say the least ...

Dale
N319WF

***EDIT***

Here is a kit ... 78 HP for 180 lbs; and more if you want it ...

http://www.electricmotorsport.com/ac-75-kit-1.html
daleandee

Postby Bryan Cotton » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:46 pm

Things to consider :
1) RPM's - it would be a shame to need gear reduction for an electric motor application. You should target aerovee RPM's so you can direct drive a prop.
2) you may still need to add weight for bearings and of course for a prop flange.
3) it is important to make sure the rated power, i.e. the power you can run all day at, is enough. Cars and mining may dip into the overload capability of the motor. This is usually 150% for a minute for many motors, and is used to get things up and going.
4) batteries - how many volts, how many amp hours.

People are making electric power work, sort of, in airplanes. You can buy electric self launch gliders. Pipistrel is offering or will offer an electric trainer. Sonex has flown on electric power. If you are doing it for the adventure and the cool factor, awesome and more power to you. If you want something practical, now is not the time for electric power.

Good luck!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Darren S » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:29 pm

Thanks for the replies and links. It would be for the adventure and cool factor but this may not be the airframe to try it on.
Darren S

Return to Onex