New FAA Changes to E-AB Transition Training Possible

Discussion topics to include safety related issues and flight training.

Re: Safety and training

Postby SonexN76ET » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:26 pm

Ihab,

One thing you may want to consider is getting a tail kit and building that and see if you enjoy building. You may get bitten by the building bug and the flying bug at the same time! Before you know it you will be up in the air!
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Re: Safety and training / Stick Shaker

Postby daleandee » Sun Nov 30, 2014 3:00 am

Last edited by daleandee on Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daleandee

Postby SonexN76ET » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:57 pm

Sonex aircraft are remarkably safe aircraft. They are also a whole lot of fun. I think it is good to have a little safety reminder from time to time, so I offer up the following for Sonex pilots...

Here is a list of things that we need to promise ourselves and our loved ones before each flight:

1-Aircraft is in top working order without any safety of flight discrepancies.
2-The aircraft has been thoroughly inspected with a safety checklist.
3-I will only fly my Sonex in good weather. I will not continue VFR into IMC conditions. I will land on a road or a field before I get into weather that I can not get out of.
4-I have installed racing style seat belt pads on all four points of my seatbelt. My seat has high density, energy absorbing foam for safety.
5- I will never operate my aircraft with less than one hours worth of fuel.
6- I will be prepared at all times for my engine to stop running and have a plan on where to land safely, even if it is in the treetops (as have several people who have walked away uninjured).
7- If my engine fails on takeoff or at low altitude I will establish best glide speed and land straight ahead making a normal landing.
8- I will know how to properly tune my engine (and systems) or have someone competent tune it and I will ensure that it is in proper tune before each flight.
9 - If my engine starts to run poorly, I will land on a field or a road as a precaution rather than try to make a far away airport.
10. When I fly a cross country I will use Victor Airways and fly from airport to airport so I am always within 50 miles of an airport.
11. I will never fly when impaired by alcohol, drugs, medications, fatigue, or illness.
12. If I feel compelled to perform aerobatics or buzz something, I will ensure that I am properly trained to conduct those activities and do so with plenty of margin of safety.
13. Safety will always be my first consideration when conducting a flight.

In almost all of the fatal crashes of Sonex aircraft the terminal event was an unsurvivable stall/spin at low altitude. No aircraft is immune from a loss of control, so don't blame the aircraft. The lesson here needs to be:
1. If you loose power, immediately and aggressively push the nose down to best glide speed! DO NOT TRY TO MILK THE AIRPLANE INTO FLYING FARTHER AT 40 OR 50 MPH! YOU ARE TOO CLOSE TO STALL SPEED AND THE SINK RATE IS TOO HIGH AT LOW SPEEDS ANYWAY. LAND STRAIGHT AHEAD UNLESS YOU ARE ABOVE 800 FEET.
2. If you sell a Sonex, insist the owner take the factory transition training or training with an LODA authorized instructor. Make sure you emphasize point number 1!!!
3. Get familiar with systems and powerplant on your aircraft. It seems like several second hand owners of Sonex Aircraft have attempted to fiddle with their engines or systems without knowing what they were doing and that may have been the likely cause of their loss of power events.
4. If you are transitioning from a larger aircraft to any light sport eligible type aircraft, make sure you get appropriate training. There are significant differences in handling and speed and attitude control that must be practiced. Don't be arrogant! Get the training!!!
Properly maintained, configured and piloted Sonex aircraft are exceptionally safe aircraft.

Finally, if you have an engine failure, if you keep the airplane under control and touch down just above stall speed, your forced landing or “crash” should be no worse than if you ran your four wheeler off the trail at 37 mph. What is more, the Sonex stall speed is comparable to the stall speed of many open cockpit ultralight aircraft with two stroke engines. Bottom line is: If your engine quits, do not panic! Do not try the impossible turn back to the airport. Find the most suitable landing area just ahead or off to the side that you can glide to safely. Keep your speed at best glide (about 75 mph on mine) until short final then slowly start slowing down and make a normal flare for landing and keep in control of your aircraft! Keep the ball centered! This applies to any single engine aircraft. If you do this, your chances of walking away are excellent. This has been proven multiple times.

Fly safe out there and have fun!

Jake
SonexN76ET

Safety and training

Postby Sonex1517 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:49 pm

+1

Excellent post and very accurate

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Tails and Wings complete - finishing fuselage.
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Bruce593SX » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:55 pm

SonexN76ET wrote:Sonex aircraft are remarkably safe aircraft. They are also a whole lot of fun. I think it is good to have a little safety reminder from time to time, so I offer up the following for Sonex pilots...

Here is a list of things that we need to promise ourselves and our loved ones before each flight:

1-Aircraft is in top working order without any safety of flight discrepancies.
2-The aircraft has been thoroughly inspected with a safety checklist.
3-I will only fly my Sonex in good weather. I will not continue VFR into IMC conditions. I will land on a road or a field before I get into weather that I can not get out of.
4-I have installed racing style seat belt pads on all four points of my seatbelt. My seat has high density, energy absorbing foam for safety.
5- I will never operate my aircraft with less than one hours worth of fuel.
6- I will be prepared at all times for my engine to stop running and have a plan on where to land safely, even if it is in the treetops (as have several people who have walked away uninjured).
7- If my engine fails on takeoff or at low altitude I will establish best glide speed and land straight ahead making a normal landing.
8- I will know how to properly tune my engine (and systems) or have someone competent tune it and I will ensure that it is in proper tune before each flight.
9 - If my engine starts to run poorly, I will land on a field or a road as a precaution rather than try to make a far away airport.
10. When I fly a cross country I will use Victor Airways and fly from airport to airport so I am always within 50 miles of an airport.
11. I will never fly when impaired by alcohol, drugs, medications, fatigue, or illness.
12. If I feel compelled to perform aerobatics or buzz something, I will ensure that I am properly trained to conduct those activities and do so with plenty of margin of safety.
13. Safety will always be my first consideration when conducting a flight.

In almost all of the fatal crashes of Sonex aircraft the terminal event was an unsurvivable stall/spin at low altitude. No aircraft is immune from a loss of control, so don't blame the aircraft. The lesson here needs to be:
1. If you loose power, immediately and aggressively push the nose down to best glide speed! DO NOT TRY TO MILK THE AIRPLANE INTO FLYING FARTHER AT 40 OR 50 MPH! YOU ARE TOO CLOSE TO STALL SPEED AND THE SINK RATE IS TOO HIGH AT LOW SPEEDS ANYWAY. LAND STRAIGHT AHEAD UNLESS YOU ARE ABOVE 800 FEET.
2. If you sell a Sonex, insist the owner take the factory transition training or training with an LODA authorized instructor. Make sure you emphasize point number 1!!!
3. Get familiar with systems and powerplant on your aircraft. It seems like several second hand owners of Sonex Aircraft have attempted to fiddle with their engines or systems without knowing what they were doing and that may have been the likely cause of their loss of power events.
4. If you are transitioning from a larger aircraft to any light sport eligible type aircraft, make sure you get appropriate training. There are significant differences in handling and speed and attitude control that must be practiced. Don't be arrogant! Get the training!!!
Properly maintained, configured and piloted Sonex aircraft are exceptionally safe aircraft.

Finally, if you have an engine failure, if you keep the airplane under control and touch down just above stall speed, your forced landing or “crash” should be no worse than if you ran your four wheeler off the trail at 37 mph. What is more, the Sonex stall speed is comparable to the stall speed of many open cockpit ultralight aircraft with two stroke engines. Bottom line is: If your engine quits, do not panic! Do not try the impossible turn back to the airport. Find the most suitable landing area just ahead or off to the side that you can glide to safely. Keep your speed at best glide (about 75 mph on mine) until short final then slowly start slowing down and make a normal flare for landing and keep in control of your aircraft! Keep the ball centered! This applies to any single engine aircraft. If you do this, your chances of walking away are excellent. This has been proven multiple times.

Fly safe out there and have fun!

Jake

this entire post should be a "STICKY" at the very top of the forum, just under posting rules!
Bruce Johnson
Sonex 593 AeroVee Turbo
Plans building near San Antonio, TX
Bruce593SX

Postby falvarez » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:01 pm

Great writeup Jake...I agree, it should be a "Sticky".
Frank Alvarez
Sonex #800, Aerovee 2.1
Scratch Building (working on Cowl)
falvarez

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Mar 17, 2015 10:33 pm

Hi all , and to jake,
Great article and thanks for taking to time to write this, and to all of u to read it and take it to heart. Nobody is immune to human mistakes, I spent 33 yrs in ATC and I've seen it all. (10X). airline pilots, military aviators, biz jet drivers , general aviation , ultra lite flyers , hot air ballon enthusiasts. NATCA (national air traffic controllers union ) logo says we bring u home safe. The FAA takes this to heart to. 99.9 % of the controllers are extremely professional and are there to help. The only thing I can add to jakes article is if u need help ask for it . Don't worry about paperwork or a phone call. Don't wait until the situation is on the brink of disaster. Respect the weather, monitor your fuel. Don't push it. Better to stop somewhere refuel , clean your windscreen , use the restroom, get a coke or candy bar and REFRESH yourself. AGAIN respect the weather!!! If u are lost and don't know the twr , approach , or center freq , then dial up 121.5 (emergency) make a broad cast in the blind for help. U may get 3-4 facilities responding. Atc will coordinate and sort it out who is best to assist. Transponder squawk codes for emergency are 7700, if u lose your radio capability is 7600. Trust me if you dial the codes u will get help pronto. The data block will flash and and aural alarm will go off. The supervisor will assist , neighboring atc facilities start immediately coordinating. You do not need to put the emergency code in if already in contact with atc and radar identified and on a 4 digit discreet transponder code. Just tell them verbally what help u need. If u fly out of a towered facility good to get the twr cab phone number that u could use your cell phone for, in case of radio failure. Same goes for approach and center. Take a group tour of the facilities. Get some phone numbers for the control room . Remember this is to be used for emergency use only. Only pass this info to your pilot community . We don't need any phone threats to the facility. Have you all got your fancy new headsets with the 3.5 mil phone jacks for your cell phone? Have u tried it? Next time at the hangar plug it in , put your headsets on and call someone to see if it works. Always try to leave yourself an out. Being in or on top of imc and low on fuel is not a good situation. Is the plane and pilot rated for,and current, for IFR? Do NOT put yourself in this situation . If this does happen to u then call for help ASAP . Minutes matter. How many times have we seen an airplane crash on a half mile final out of fuel? Ok just my 2 cents to the sonex community, fly safe . RESPECT the weather, and watch your fuel. Lets have a beer together at the Monnett's Sonex factory hangar bash at Oshkosh !

Michael RADTKE
Waiex N143NM
WaiexN143NM

Postby WaiexN143NM » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:11 pm

One more item to add to my post , if you are in a situation, and I'm sure in your pilot training u are taught to aviate, navigate, then communicate. If u are flying along VFR and not in contact with atc and flight following, u have an engine failure, and don't have time to communicate, then by all means use your transponder! Squawk 7700 . Hopefully you are in an area of radar coverage, and radar coverage to the ground. The ATC facility controlling that area you are in will call 911 and get ground emergency assistance started. You may be trapped or injured, or both in the ensuing landing. At least help is on the way and someone is aware of your situation.

Michael RADTKE
Waiex N143NM
WaiexN143NM

Postby nwyooper » Mon May 25, 2015 2:10 am

No Names But You Know Who You Are
Normally my hours at the airport are the best hours of the day but witnessing and hearing want went on a few weeks ago at my home airport changed all that. What one so called "CFI" did on the field and said on the radio is beyond the pale.

Some history on what lead up to the day I am referencing. This so called CFI is not based at our airport (uncontrolled 4,400 ft runway) but does transition training and flight reviews in experimental aircraft there quite frequently which he certainly has a right to do. His practice has been to do stop and goes with the student and not even state his intentions on Unicom(I know he isn't required to but he does have a radio). As a result of him sitting there on the runway, other aircraft have had to do go arounds because he does not clear the runway expeditiously as the AIM and FAR says you should. I know for a fact that he caused a Cessna Citation based at our field to go around and I personally witnessed my friend have to go around twice on one landing attempt because of the abbreviated pattern and stop and go the CFI/Student executed.

Previous to the incident I witnessed, this CFI and been asked very professionally on the radio by one of the most knowledgeable and respected airman on our field to not do the stop and goes because it was causing some problems. Not to mention the safety and noise factor because he was typically using the runway that has all the residential housing on that end. Using only 2000 ft of a 4000 ft runway put him lower over the housing and like most airports, we have complaints from neighbors.

On May 1, 2015 at about 2:00 PM local time the CFI and his student showed up and started doing stop and go maneuvers again. After a couple of close circuit patterns of stop and go, the airman above very nicely asked the CFI to taxi over so a discussion could be had concerning his operations. My friend and I were standing next to the person on the radio that asked the CFI to taxi over. The CFI came back with and I quote, "I have been flight instructing for over 40 years, you or nobody else can tell me how to do it. Why don't you just go home?" And he and his student proceeded to do one more circuit and then departed the area.

I could not believe what I just heard on the radio. What kind of CFI acts this way and what must his student have been thinking?? Later that same day the CFI in question called the person(who identified himself when he was on the radio) and threatened to turn him in to the FAA for harassment over the radio.

The AIM is pretty clear about what you are supposed to do after landing and FAR 91.113,subsection (g) Landing. Aircraft, while on final approach to land or while landing, have the right-of-way over other aircraft in flight or operating on the surface, except that they shall not take advantage of this rule to force an aircraft off the runway surface which has already landed and is attempting to
make way for an aircraft on final approach... If you are stopped on the runway, I do not see how you are "attempting to make way".

I have to wonder how many other CFI's out there agree with this type of behavior or have done similar things themselves-not many is my hope. I am very grateful that I learned to fly from a true professional who taught safety and respect for other airman.
Loren G Sievila
Onex N331EX
nwyooper

Postby ededoad » Fri Aug 07, 2015 4:05 pm

I have seen talk about transition training and would be interested in getting some dual in a Sonex along with a bi annual. Is there anyone I can contact in the Texas area.

Regards and thanks for any info.
ededoad

PreviousNext

Return to Safety and Training