Hardware kits for Onex

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Hardware kits for Onex

Postby surfly » Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:36 pm

My Onex kit is scheduled to be delivered to me the first week of November. Would you either recommend Wick's or Aircraft Spruce to purchase my hardware kits from?
My e-mail is surfly@cfl.rr.com so please feel at ease to e-mail me if you care to
Thank you, Sherm
surfly

Re: Hardware kits for Onex

Postby Stogie6 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:34 pm

Sherm,

I sent an email with some info to consider.
David F. Jones
Memphis (Mud Island), TN
Aerovee powered Onex
N153TD
Based at KAWM and in the midst of Phase 1
Stogie6

Postby A10snoopy » Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:48 pm

Sherm, look for my suggestions in your email.

Paul
Onex 76
A10snoopy

Postby seanmb » Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:30 pm

If you want to get better pricing, you can source each item individually, you will save a good bit over any of the hardware kits. Even just comparing best price per item from only Wicks and Spruce will show a substantial savings. Airward.com also offers a hardware kits in several different flavors for the Onex, people have commented on them favorably in the past.
seanmb

Postby Mike53 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:40 pm

If I had to do it over I would definitely go with AirWard.I can only speak for the Aircraft Spruce kit and there was a lot missing which I have had to buy as I become aware .Weather that is the fault of Sonex not keeping them updated or AS not keeping up with Sonex updates I have no idea .I'm just certain that AirWard is complete and up to date.
I'm sure those that purchased the AW kit can confirm or deny this.
Cheers,
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:18 pm

I opened my A/S kit months after I bought it. So far I was missing a few items. I got a tailwheel kit for a Sonex and another for a Waiex. Not sure what I will do with the other tailwheel. Whoever you buy from don't blindly order.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rynoth » Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:21 am

Bryan Cotton wrote:I opened my A/S kit months after I bought it. So far I was missing a few items. I got a tailwheel kit for a Sonex and another for a Waiex. Not sure what I will do with the other tailwheel. Whoever you buy from don't blindly order.

This happened to me as well... they had 3 different hardware kits for landing gear configurations, and I ended up with 2 of them and extra parts. I was able to return the duplicate parts without issue (although I kept the extra tailwheel). It appears they have since removed the extra landing gear hardware kit.

As far as the A/S kit goes, I think so far I was only missing a single part that should have been shipped. However the kits are based on the hardware lists provided by Sonex, and those hardware lists themselves are a bit out of date. Most everything else that has been "missing" from my hardware kit is also missing from the Sonex hardware list, so I don't blame A/S.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Return to Onex