Hydraulic brake handle

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Hydraulic brake handle

Postby thomasjones42 » Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:26 pm

Just finished installing hydraulic brake cylinder and handle. Looks like there will be a conflict with the left long aileron control rod. Anyone else experienced this problem?
thomasjones42

Re: Hydraulic brake handle

Postby falvarez » Sat Jun 21, 2014 8:39 am

Are you referring to the Sonex hydraulic brakes? My hydraulic brake handle is in front of the spar (per the plans) and the aileron control rod is aft of the spar. So I'm not clear on how you are getting interference. Can you post a picture?
Frank Alvarez
Sonex #800, Aerovee 2.1
Scratch Building (working on Cowl)
falvarez

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:21 am

I was thinking the same thing Frank but after looking at it, I noticed this was in the Onex folder so I assume Thomas is building a Onex. From what i recall, the aileron torque tube and the brake handle are both in front of the spar on a Onex.

Thomas, I wonder if you can shorten up the brake handle throw to avoid any issues with the aileron tube?
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby thomasjones42 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:56 pm

It is a Onex and the hydraulic cylinder and brake handle do sit ahead of the spar. Unfortunately I can't seem to figure out how to get any pictures I just took posted. I don't think just shortening the throw will work because the handle needs to come all the way back to the spar to latch in full on as a parking or run up lock. If I change/raise handle angle to avoid the aileron rod, the handle will be back against the spar before I get full throw. I'm waiting on some bolts to attach the control stick and aileron rods. When I get the stick and rods in I'll try and post some pictures but I think I'm going to have to come up with a solution other than what the plans display for the brake handle.

Tom Jones
Onex #133
thomasjones42

Hydraulic brake handle

Postby Tnhelm » Tue Apr 06, 2021 11:21 am

I was concerned that there would be inadequate handle throw when applying brakes do to contact with the spar. I have flown a Sonex with the hyd brake mod and had to pump the handle to get adequate braking, probably due to air in the lines. I rebuilt my handle into three pieces with an hook shape in the middle to allow full actuator travel. Hard riveted the handle pieces together.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tnhelm

Postby Thermalflyer » Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:43 pm

Ok so the system is installed. Any recommendations on bleeding the brakes.
Thermalflyer

Postby Tnhelm » Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:20 pm

I used a plastic squeeze bottle like used for restaurant catsup filled with hydraulic fluid. Slipped a clear vinyl tubing over its tip and on to the bleed valve at the bottom of the brake actuator. With the valve open I slowly squeezed the bottle. Hold bottle upright to avoid introducing air in the line. After the brake puck filled I could watch the fluid travel up the brake line to the hand brake actuator. Close the valve when the fluid reaches the handbrake actuator. I did this on each line. Be sure to watch the hand brake actuator reservoir to avoid it over flowing.
This procedure worked perfectly resulting in no air in the line or spongy hand brake operation and has remained so after 15 hours of flying.
Tnhelm

Postby Tnhelm » Tue Oct 26, 2021 8:23 am

I meant to say, hold the bottle upside down, not upright.
Tnhelm

Return to Onex