Onex Build Status and Completion Photos

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: Onex Build Status and Completion Photos

Postby N111YX » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:19 am

Thanks for the update, Rheal.

Looks great...!
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby GOIX » Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:15 pm

Hi Rheal,

As I am building the spars right now I'm looking ahead to the operation that has caused you much grief ! I'm looking at the plans and my parts and am thinking that the drilling and reaming of the steel plates is best done with a drill press while the spar is off the airplane . I'm thinking the same for the rear spar .
Can you think of any reason why this might not be a good idea ?

Marc
Marc
Onex 0024
C-GOIX reserved
GOIX

Postby Onex11 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:49 pm

Hi Mark,

I have annotated the Sonex recommended assembly below. This is how I would do it if I was to built another Onex:

Note: General Construction Order for -01 Wing Spar Join and Fold Installation
This is an extremely critical assembly procedure! Exact reamers must be used
to ensure tight hole tolerances. Jeremy's recommended concentricity is .003 in.

SPECIAL TOOLS REQUIRED:
"U" Letter Drill (0.3680")
0.3730" OD Reamer (Qty 1) for Main Spar Pivot Hole
0.3760" OD Reamer (Qty 1) for Main Spar Lower and Rear Spar Attach Holes
Note: Measure AN6-14 Bolts for Main Spar Pivot holes with a micrometer.
These should measure between 0.3715 and 0.3720 for 0.3730 Reamer to be used.
Smaller Reamer may be required if bolts are smaller.

MAIN SPAR JOINT:
1) Slide ONX-W02-01L Outboard Wing Panel into inboard wing structure. The Inboard wing outboard ribs should not be installed in order to drill perpendicular. Actually, if the Outboard spar ribs are not installed yes you could lay the 2 spars flat and drill with the press drill. Remember that the main spar should butt the interior sides of the sandwiched aluminum plates to ensure to mimic the same position when the wing is rotated down. The wing weight will naturally force the mechanism to butt together. This is very important otherwise it is going to be very hard to have the locking pin to penetrate if they are misaligned like mine are on the LH (see previous email).
2) Insert 1/4" Pin or Bolt in Main Spar Pivot Hole identified in View A-A. (A 1/4" Drill
may be needed to run through the assembly to allow bolt to be installed).
3) Up-drill Rear spar attach pin hole to 1/4" per View C-C. This has to be done with the spars installed on the FWD box.
4) Insert 1/4" Pin or Bolt into Rear spar attach pin hole per View C-C.
5) Drill thru Main Spar Lower Attach Hole with "U" Letter Drill (0.3680").Do not install the guiding block yet if drilled from the FWD position. If drilled from the AFT it is OK. This important to stay perpendicular to the spar axis. Otherwise the lever guiding slot will be misaligned.
Note: Drill as SLOW as you can and use plenty of DRILLING LUBRICANT.
6) Ream the same lower attach hole to 0.3760" OD.The black guiding block should be in place now.
7) Insert Main Spar Pin into lower attach hole per View A-A.Stop here if not perfectly perpendicular and snug fit.
8) Remove 1/4" temporary Pin or Bolt from Upper attach location and make sure
outboard wing is supported so upper hole alignment is maintained.
9) Up-drill Main Spar Pivot Hole to "U" Letter Drill (0.3680") per View A-A.
10) Ream the same pivot hole to 0.3730" OD.
11) Insert AN6 Bolt in this location per View A-A.
REAR SPAR:
1) Remove temporary 1/4" Pin or Bolt from rear spar.
2) Drill thr rear spar attach hole with "U" Letter Drill (0.3680").
3) Ream the same attach hole to 0.3760" OD.
4) Insert Rear Spar Pin into this location and ensure smooth motion.

As you can see, you can do the main spars on the press drill but you won't be able to drill the rear spar because the wing has to be in place to ensure the whole assembly is square and perpendicular. The only way to achieve this is to have the Outboard wing skins on and the Inboard wing outboard ribs installed (obviously no Inboard skins necessary at this stage). In summary, the main spar drilling can be done without any ribs installed at all and without being mounted on the fuselage. The important reference is the internal butting interface surface (sandwiched between the steel plates see picture below where my vernier is touching) being respected when drilling the 2 holes. For the rear spar, everything has to be assembled in place with the main spar locked and then it is easy to drill the rear from AFT without errors. Hoping this will help you to better understand the issues.

DSCF1302sm.jpg
DSCF1302sm.jpg (116.86 KiB) Viewed 22774 times
Rheal
ONEX plans 0021
Onex11

Postby Mike53 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 4:11 pm

Great stuff Rheal. Merci beaucoup :)
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby GOIX » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:40 am

Thanks again for your excellent contribution ! Now to find some reamers .......

Marc
Marc
Onex 0024
C-GOIX reserved
GOIX

Postby Onex11 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 1:28 pm

I have ordered mine from KBC Tools and Machinery either Toronto or Windsor. www.kbctools.com
Rheal
ONEX plans 0021
Onex11

Postby GOIX » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:00 pm

Thanks Rheal . I forgot about that place . I'll be passing by there tomorrow !

Marc
Marc
Onex 0024
C-GOIX reserved
GOIX

Postby Merzyd » Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:29 pm

I am not a onex builder...yet, but definitely interested...and from Minnesota.
I was trying to post a message to you (onex28), but evidently I am too new to the group to do so.
Was curious where you are at in MN?

onex28 wrote:It's been so quiet here that I will post a photo. I'm waiting for tail tips so I can close up the tail feathers. I don't like to rivet until the entire assembly is complete. Since this photo I've riveted all I can on the fuselage and have installed the motor mount angles. Waiting for backorders to move forward and the garage is getting colder! Ready to get it on the gear and put the main spar in. Am I the only Onex builder in MN?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Merzyd

Postby Mike53 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:37 am

IMG_0799.jpg
IMG_0799.jpg (81.85 KiB) Viewed 22608 times

Finally made something that looks familiar.The other side is left unriveted for inspection down the road.Big learning curve for me :D
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby Onex11 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:08 pm

Hi All,

Its been a while since my last post. I now have put 725 hours on my Onex. Remember I am a first time builder. The worst part was the canopy which took over 40 hours to build. The AFT tube is not correct and requires reforming. A lot of fiddling around be patient. The Arovee is installed and was run for 15 minutes static (watch the high CHT temp). The cowling is almost completed and again required some ajustments because I had ordered the tall oil cooler.

You will see that my panel was fitted with RAMs holder for my Iphone, Ipad gear and a portable radio. Please note that the inboard wings are done last. This was a good move since one needs nearby access to fiddle with the canopy and other cockpit installation. :D

The kit has numerous surprises that requires scratch building for some parts. This has contributed to my high hours log. I believe , I will be ready by next month to execute the first flight.
Rheal
ONEX plans 0021
Onex11

PreviousNext

Return to Onex