Onex Build Status and Completion Photos

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: Onex Build Status and Completion Photos

Postby chris » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:30 am

onex28 wrote:I needed additional storage space in the garage for Onex parts plus other AL I have on hand. This addition allows for 62 sq. ft. of space but is limited to 16 inch height if I wanted to ever open the 3rd stall door. You could do this with an opener present but you height would be reduced.

Great Idea! Excellent use of wasted space for storage.
Chris
Sonex 1409
Slowly Scratch Building
Site Owner/Admin
chris
Site Admin

Postby Peterk » Sat Aug 27, 2011 5:48 pm

Yes....ditto! Keep up the info. I'm #32 so I have a couple more weeks to drool. And your pics are great!
Peterk

Postby Mike53 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Onex11 wrote:Here is where I stand 10 days after kit reception. The tail and horizontal stabs are pretty much completed (except for the skins installation) and I have started the ailerons, rudder and elevators. I am still debating which way to go as far as Basic ultralight versus Amateur built, in Canada we have both choices available. If I opt for amateur built, I will need to have the parts inspected before covering. Anyhow, I will have time to decide later.

I have included some pictures to show my progress. Since I am a first time builder, it took me some time to properly install my work area. The drawings are complete but sometimes confusing in terms of referencing the assembly of some detail part (a BOM would help). I am wondering why some tail bented parts were not done as part of the machined angle option? Don't forget to plan for either a vise or other means of bending equipment. I guess that in order to meet the 51%, we have to do some work and it is OK by me. I have 35 hrs invested up to now.

I really appreciate Sonex's response to my questions (thank you Kerry). For my first experience, I am having a ball!

Plans: ONX0021

Onex1.jpg

Onex2.jpg

Onex3.jpg

Rheal looks like your well on your way.Looking forward to seeing it on its gear.
I too have given thought to which way to go and am leaning more towards Amateur built,for 2 reasons .One If I ever want to sell it The prospective buyers will know that it has passed inspection and I therefore believe it will be easier to sell and two I don't want to have to wear a helmet,although If you read the reg's on it it does not in any way specify what the helmut must be.So for all intents and purposes you could wear a leather cap and call it your helmet. :D
Keep your camera busy also, it's appreciated.Go Team Canada :mrgreen:
Mike
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby Onex11 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:59 pm

sep 2011 026.JPG
sep 2011 026.JPG (128.1 KiB) Viewed 20984 times
sep 2011 011.JPG
sep 2011 011.JPG (119.14 KiB) Viewed 20984 times
sep 2011 029.JPG
sep 2011 029.JPG (120.92 KiB) Viewed 20984 times
More than one month passed already since I received my kit... Here is where I am;

I am posting some pictures of the bird without any skins. I am not sure yet if I will go Amateur Built so the skins will be the last parts installed. At last, I am becoming used to read Sonex dwgs. There are fundamental mistakes such as dotted lines missing to show some hidden parts in assemblies. The only way to be sure is to check the next assembly in different views. The problem is that we have received only a portion of the dwg package as of today. It would be nice to have a table listing incorporated part in the assembly along with qty. Sometimes part # are mixed within the assembly (LH and RH). Probably a labelling mistake.

Overall, I am pleased with the project. Don't forget to get tooled-up (sheet metal brake and press is required to do a good job). For the folding ribs countersink drilling, I acquired a Micro stop cage (Wicks ATS133) with the 120 and 100 deg bit (rivet and bolt countersink). The elevators, flaps and ailerons are also pretty much completed (80%). I am reluctant to pursue assembly of fuse, spars and all until I get new set of dwgs (3rd release). Don't forget I am a first time builder. This is fun stuff. I am at approx. 100hrs including everything (I have made mistakes which I had to repair).

Good luck (patience) with your project....
Rheal
ONEX plans 0021
Onex11

Postby Sonex1517 » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:23 pm

Wow! In a month? I am very impressed!
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Postby Dan » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:42 pm

Very impressive. You are giving me hope Rheal that I can do this as well. Thank you for the pictures.
Dan

Postby Andy Walker » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:10 am

The pre-formed channel parts and match-drilled parts really make things go fast...clearly. :shock:

I think your Onex is farther along in a month than my Sonex is in a year (working average 2 hours per day).
Andy Walker

Postby Mike53 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 6:07 pm

There is no doubt that you will have the honor of flying the first Onex in Canada.That's got to be good for entry into the Sonex/ Onex hall of fame :D Great work Rheal.
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby MichaelFarley56 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:03 pm

The progress pictures are looking great sir! It's very impressive that you've made so much progress! Please keep the pictures coming! :D
Mike Farley
Waiex #0056 - N569KM
Jabiru 3300A #1706
MGL Panel
MichaelFarley56

Postby GOIX » Thu Sep 22, 2011 9:30 am

Well done Rheal ! I picked up my kit a month ago and am just about to pull my first rivet . Even with the matched hole construction , you still need to check that everything lines up well before up drilling . Working on the vertical stab , I noticed that one rib needed to be moved over to line up well with the rear spar channel . A Dremel tool and a small burr allowed me to tweak things .

You mentioned a countersink for the "folding ribs" . What are the folding ribs ?

Keep up the good work !

Marc
Marc
Onex 0024
C-GOIX reserved
GOIX

PreviousNext

Return to Onex