Onex Build Status and Completion Photos

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Onex Build Status and Completion Photos

Postby Sonex1517 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:59 pm

Excellent news! Congratulations!

Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Chicagoland
Tails and Wings complete - finishing fuselage.
N1517S reserved
Robbie Culver
Sonex 1517
Aero Estates (T25)
First flight 10/10/2015
325+ hours
Jabiru 3300 Gen 4
Prince P Tip
Taildragger
N1517S
Sonex1517

Re: Onex Build Status and Completion Photos

Postby Gripdana » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:12 pm

Congratulations!!! The paint job looks awesome.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby 13brv3 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:22 pm

Congrats! Love the paint job, particularly in those shots from the rear.

Enjoy,
Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby Bryan Cotton » Mon Dec 28, 2015 10:43 pm

Peter,
Not much original to say but congrats - and I think the paint is spectacular also!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby SonexEZ » Tue Dec 29, 2015 8:50 am

Vegaj02 wrote:I am building onex 044 in Orlando, FL. I purchased the kit virtually untouched on June 14 2015. I have about 170 hours into her and things are coming along great. The fuselage and landing gear are mostly together. I have the horizontal almost complete except I have to purchase one of the elevator sides because I cut it too short. It was my first mistake. Lol Here is link to my kitlog where you can see some pics. http://www.mykitlog.com/vegaj02

N901JV (reserved)

I am just west of you and waiting for my prop to come in 8-10 weeks lead time , for a sensenich right here in florida , i picked up this aircraft and it was flying at one time but it was a mess i spent 1600 hrs rewireing replaceing radios and i had to do a top overhaul , I am a A&P but havent worked on small aircraft in 30 years only large Jets 727-200 , my Sonex is a trigear , are you getting to the end ? Guy
SonexEZ

Postby x3 skier » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:34 am

I finished the tail kit last fall and after returning home from three months in Steamboat Springs CO skiing and other winter sports, I bit the bullet and ordered the Fuselage sub kit, plans and Hardware.

The web store defeated me in the ordering process but a call or two to Grace in the order department got everything ordered and started the system moving toward shipping.

Getting the tail built was easy and I look forward to resuming pulling rivets and torquing bolts

Cheers
Onex 202, Finishing Fuselage Kit, Controls/Gear/Engine Config kit delivered.
x3 skier

Postby x3 skier » Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:35 am

Running out of parts to put together on the Fuselage Kit so I ordered the Controls, Gear and Engine mount kit. Should be delivered around the first of Sept.

I'd love to have an online kit log but Kitlog doesn't make a version for the Mac.

Cheers
Onex 202, Finishing Fuselage Kit, Controls/Gear/Engine Config kit delivered.
x3 skier

Postby N814W » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:46 am

Got the tail cone zipped up, but for the belly skin this weekend. Except for the lower cross-tie and the spacers, everything went rather smoothly. Yeah, the puckers are there on the turtle deck, but I'll revisit bulkhead stations 2 & 3 when there's nothing better to do.

Working the forward section now. Is there a better way of radiusing the engine mount brackets to nest up properly than just doing it all by hand with a vixen file? I tried a sanding disc and scotch-brite band, but it just gets so hot so fast that the file seems faster than waiting for things to cool. Only got one corner fit last night, but I can feel carpal tunnel setting in... I've run into a couple parts fit issues in the forward section so far with the lower horizontal firewall angle not matching the skin and gusset. Also mis-matches on the seat attach angles and seat support angles (F08-14 & F08-02). Sonex is sending angle stock to remake...
Attachments
Tail Cone 3s.jpg
Tail Cone 2s.jpg
Tail Cone 1s.jpg
C150 driver by day, OneX 204 builder by night.
Empennage done, fuselage in work...
N814W

Postby dhogue » Mon Sep 18, 2017 6:56 pm

What worked for me:

Do yourself a big help in reduction of labor and savings of time.
Get a 2 wheel bench top grinder. Replace 1 of the 2 grinding wheels with a scotch-bright wheel.
This made very short work of re-radius the 8 engine mount angles....and a bunch of other thick parts that require a fair amount of trimming.

Something to consider:

The pilot holes in the 8 angles may not align adequately until all 8 angles are trimmed to fit into each other also their respective structural angles. Trim a little and check. Don't take off to much.
Don Hogue
Onex 0173: Tailwheel: AeroVee Turbo.
Horiz/Vert Stabs, Rudder/Elevators, Fwd/IB/OB/Aileron Bellcranks on Ribs and Main Fwd/Aft Center Wing Spars, Fuselage : Complete.
WIP: Wings
dhogue

Postby N814W » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:27 pm

Got the fuselage halves joined today. Couple questions too. I've now experienced the hardware fitment issues so many have discussed - why not just flip an offending bolt around and put the nut on the firewall side? Yeah, it'd need a different lock nut, but they would all be under the cowling, so not a visually offending install.

Also on the little center channel on the forward fuselage floor, my factory machined part (which matches the drawings) sits proud of the channel. Is there a purpose for this, or can I trim it flush before I rivet it in?

Ever forward...

Thanks!
Attachments
Center support attach bracket.jpg
Corner supports2.jpg
Corner supports.jpg
Fuse Mate.jpg
C150 driver by day, OneX 204 builder by night.
Empennage done, fuselage in work...
N814W

PreviousNext

Return to Onex