Lower Cowling Removal

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: Lower Cowling Removal

Postby Bryan Cotton » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:09 pm

When I saw Ken Irwin put his cowl on, I saw nothing that would make me want to change the split. That was why I asked the question. Vertical split for me!
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby DCASonex » Fri Jun 13, 2014 8:27 am

Do not know how it is on an Onex, but on my Sonex, I have lower cowl in its original two pieces, but upper cowl bonded at center joint and split horizontally. Removal and installation of upper part is very quick, using only the nail file tip on a 2" pocket knife for the SkyBolt fasteners and no crawling on the ground. Lower cowl halves held by standard Sonex hinges are very easy for one person to remove or install.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Sonerai13 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:37 am

Darick wrote:You are the first person I've heard to say the standard vertical split is just as quick (and can I assume as easy?) as the horizontal split cowl. I was planning on changing to the horizontal but wasn't looking forward to the extra work as the KISS principal appeals to me most. This gives me hope. It would be nice to hear from others who also feel the standard vertical split is ok.

I know everyone's experience is different. Your mileage may vary, and all that stuff. But I have never found the vertical split cowling to be a problem. In fact, I find it easier than many horizontal split cowlings I've dealt with on other airplanes. Once you've done it a couple of times and develop a procedure, it's no problem at all. At least, that's how I find it.

K.I.S.S. is a great way to build airplanes. Remember the words of Orville Wright - "Simplicate, and build in lightness!"
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby sonex892 » Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:41 pm

I'm with Joe on this. When I finished my plane I found removing the cowling quite a task and so annoying I was considering changing to horizontal split. Now glad I didn't bother. After a few times I worked out the best sequence and its now not an issue

This morning I had to remove my vertical split cowling to do some work. Out of interest I used the stopwatch on the phone to time the process.

With tools ready. Remove cowl 1 min 40 sec. / Install cowl 2 min 50 sec.

Steve
Sonex 892
sonex892

Postby Fastcapy » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:32 pm

-----
Last edited by Fastcapy on Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike Beck
Oshkosh, WI (KOSH)
Sonex #1145 N920MB
Std Gear, Modified Aerovee, Rotec TBI, Dual Stick, Acro Ailerons
MGL Panel
Airworthiness: 10/24/13, First Flight: 05/18/14
Fastcapy

Postby drbeiz0 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:19 am

Does anyone have a video removing and replacing their Sonex or Onex cowling.
drbeiz0

Previous

Return to Onex