Lower Cowling Removal

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Lower Cowling Removal

Postby drbeiz0 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:07 am

Can the lower cowling be easily removed by one person or does it take two people to remove it.

Thanks
drbeiz0

Re: Lower Cowling Removal

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:11 am

The only one I've seen go on and off was split top and bottom like the factory designed it. Was very easy for one person. Brings up the question though, why do some modify it to split it on the side?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rynoth » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:56 am

Edit: I missed that this was for onex.
Last edited by Rynoth on Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Sonerai13 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:57 am

drbeiz0 wrote:Can the lower cowling be easily removed by one person or does it take two people to remove it.

Are you talking about a Onex lower cowl, or are you referring to a modified Sonex cowl (split horizontally)? The lower Onex cowl can be removed and installed by one person, but it's easier with two. I have no experience with a horizontal-split Sonex cowl, so can't comment there.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Sonerai II N13NN (S/N 1206)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby drbeiz0 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:42 am

Yes - I would like to know if the Onex cowling can be removed and replaced by one person or if it takes two people. I live 40 minutes from my airport and its sometimes a pain finding someone to help me with cowling removal and replacement. My wife does not like driving to the airport to help me for three minutes with cowling removal when necessary. I just sold an RV6 to build a single seat aerobatic airplane. The maintenance on the RV6 was a bit time consuming. The Onex is at the top of my list but for relatively inexpensive single seat aerobatic plane. I am hoping the maintenance is not quite as time consuming. Easy cowling removal is a big plus. Any info on the Onex concerning ease of maintenance or other practical concerns of aircraft ownership would be appreciated.
drbeiz0

Postby Sonerai13 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:34 pm

Yes, the Onex lower cowling can be removed and installed by one person. It takes a bit of practice and care, but it can be done. Two people is a plus, but not an absolute necessity.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby drbeiz0 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:33 pm

Thanks - my wife will be happy to hear this

Dave
drbeiz0

Postby fastj22 » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:39 pm

I have the horizontal split on my Waiex cowl. It can be removed and installed by one person. I have an adjustable padded shop stool on rollers that I position under the cowl, pull the bottom and side pins, carefully clear the prop and just rest it on the stool. Install is just reverse the process.

The reason I went with the horizontal spit was I never liked the vertical split. When I converted from nose to tail, I had to do some fiberglass work anyways so I went ahead and did the split. The nice thing about the horizontal split is the ease of removing the top to do routine maintenance stuff and inspections. I'm glad to see Sonex went with the horizontal on the Onex.

John Gillis
SEL Private, Comm Glider, Tow pilot (Pawnee Driver)
Waiex N116YX, Jabiru 3300, Tail dragger,
First flight, 3/16/2013. 403 hours and climbing.
Home: CO15. KOSH x 5
Flying a B-Model Conversion (Super Bee Baby!)
fastj22

Postby Sonerai13 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:17 am

fastj22 wrote:The nice thing about the horizontal split is the ease of removing the top to do routine maintenance stuff and inspections.

I guess it's all in what you get used to. I'd bet I can remove or replace a standard Sonex cowl just about as fast as a horizontal split cowl. Don't need a shop stool underneath it either. :) (Sorry, I couldn't resist!) And lots of times you only have to take one half of it off, so it's pretty comparable to taking the top off the horizontal split cowl in that regard.

fastj22 wrote:I'm glad to see Sonex went with the horizontal on the Onex.

With the vertical firewall it's easy to do a horizontal split.
Joe Norris
Sonex N208GD (S/N 450)
Fortes Fortuna Adiuvat
Sonerai13

Postby Darick » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:04 pm

Joe,
You are the first person I've heard to say the standard vertical split is just as quick (and can I assume as easy?) as the horizontal split cowl. I was planning on changing to the horizontal but wasn't looking forward to the extra work as the KISS principal appeals to me most. This gives me hope. It would be nice to hear from others who also feel the standard vertical split is ok.
Darick Gundy
Sonex #1646
N417DG
Taildragger, Aerovee, center stick, Prince P-Tip Prop
MGL E1, F2, V6 radio, Sandia Xponder, Reserve lift indicator (AOA), iFly 520
First flight! 10/21/2017
Darick

Next

Return to Onex