A couple of questions

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: A couple of questions

Postby WesRagle » Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:41 am

Hi Guys,

Yea, I took the handle off first. That doesn't help. There are a lot of Onexs flying out there. I was hoping someone would pop up with a link to the proper valve for the Onex. The ones I have just won't work.

Thanks,

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Hummel 2400 w/Zenith Carb
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby GordonTurner » Mon Sep 16, 2019 10:28 pm

I have heard for years that Earl’s is very dependable fuel system components , including their hoses and fittings. You have to select the hose that meets your requirements , use the fittings referenced to that hose, and follow their fabrication instructions, and you should have durable quality. This is my plan.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Re: A couple of questions (Zip Ties)

Postby Rynoth » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:05 am

WesRagle wrote:Does anyone have a specific part number (or brand) for zip ties (~7") that are known to survive years in the engine compartment?

I can't attest to any zip ties in hot areas, but when my airworthiness inspector told me my zip ties had to be replaced with something better in the hottest areas of the engine, I followed some advice from folks here. I got some self-fusing Silicon tape and cut some 1/4" strips of it, then wrapped the strips around wire bundles where appropriate in place of zip ties. I also used the tape in various other places for abrasion protection and general security of loose hoses. The silicone tape is awesome, relatively inexpensive and I think it will last a very long time, also has some stretch to it and won't cut into wires/hoses like a zip-tie can over time.

Most auto parts stores have silicone tape: https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/3m- ... cone+tape#
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Re: A couple of questions (Zip Ties)

Postby WesRagle » Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:21 am

Rynoth wrote:
I can't attest to any zip ties in hot areas, but when my airworthiness inspector told me my zip ties had to be replaced with something better in the hottest areas of the engine, I followed some advice from folks here. I got some self-fusing Silicon tape and cut some 1/4" strips of it, then wrapped the strips around wire bundles where appropriate in place of zip ties. I also used the tape in various other places for abrasion protection and general security of loose hoses. The silicone tape is awesome, relatively inexpensive and I think it will last a very long time, also has some stretch to it and won't cut into wires/hoses like a zip-tie can over time.

Hi Ryan,

Thanks for the tip. I have been using "Rescue Tape" sparingly. I used it where the plug wires go through the baffling. I hadn't considered using it for it's high operating temp. I'll certainly use it where the EGT and Oil Press wires run down by the exhaust, and above the engine, and ...

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Re: A couple of questions (Fuel Valve)

Postby WesRagle » Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:03 pm

Hi Guys,

Ok, here is the scoop on the Onex fuel valve. I put in a help ticket for Sonex tech support. I included this pic in the help request.

As delicately as he could, Kerry pointed out that I hadn't been paying enough attention to drawing revisions and that the main fuel outlet had been changed to the bottom of the sump about five years ago. He also included a copy of the current revision of ONX-G01 for reference.

A much better location.

Since I have already gone down the path of putting the main outlet in the front of the sump I am going to try using it as is. There are miniature valves that will work however, the fuel passage is smaller than the larger valve that is usually used. But, the fuel passage is no smaller than the AN4 fitting that is used on the Zenith carb inlet. Thanks to Loren Sievila for pointing one out.

Parker Hannifin MV708-4 Micro Series Brass Mini Ball Valve.

I'll be paying particular attention during the fuel flow test.

Moral of the story: If you are working with an old kit and old drawings always check for revisions as you build.

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:28 pm

Hi wes,
How about someone mentioned a 45* an fitting?

Keep up the posts. Will look forward to seeing you get in the air .
Best,

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby WaiexN143NM » Tue Sep 17, 2019 7:31 pm

Hi wes,
Just saw your last post! Good u got it installed!

Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby lgsievila » Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:51 pm

Hi Wes,
Glad you got the valve installed. Based on my experience I don't think you will have any problems getting required minimum fuel flows during the fuel flow test. I do know of a couple of instances where Teflon tape was restricting flows but it looks like you used some sort of pipe dope. For those using Teflon tape remember to use the tape designed for gas/oil.(not the white stuff). See you next time I am in your neighborhood.
Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Postby WesRagle » Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:22 am

lgsievila wrote:Hi Wes,
See you next time I am in your neighborhood.

Hey Loren,

Looking forward to your next visit. Maybe by then Max will be ready for first flight (by an experienced Onex pilot) :-)

Wes
Wes Ragle
Onex #89
Conventional Gear
Long Tips
Prince P Tip 54x50
First Flight 06/23/2020
42.8 Hrs. as of 10/30/21
WesRagle

Postby dirkverdonck » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:14 am

Hi All,
This is how I installed the fuel valve and it's remote control. Just remove the handle from the valve and install it so it lines up correctly, install the handle and the remote control. The reason for this set-up is to avoid side loads on the fuel valve which might cause it to leak at some stage.
Attachments
Fuel System (7).JPG
Fuel System (7).JPG (59.06 KiB) Viewed 4957 times
Dirk Verdonck
Leffinge, Belgium
Onex #117
Taildragger, Aerovee 2.1, MGL iEFIS, TRIG radio and Transponder, electric flaps, external elevator trim, shortened wingtips, hydraulic brakes, hightened seat pan, extra inspection panels, etc
dirkverdonck

PreviousNext

Return to Onex