ONEX tri gear

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: ONEX tri gear

Postby SixFingeredLouie » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:08 pm

Gents:

Am Onex #029 (shipping the week of August 22 according to Sonex) and am going the tri-gear route. My belief is that unless you pick a cowpasture for a landing field, very few grass strips should cause grief. I've seen enough grass fields to believe that unless holes are randomly scattered down the the strip, any trigear ship (if the gear is properly designed and functioning) should be fine. The only thing to watch for would be long grass attacking the wheel pants (if installed). Yes, the trigear version of any airplane would be slightly more at risk of prop damage due to sucking up a rock during runup, but only slightly more.
Of course, an Alaskan bush strip would be a different story but then you'd want to pilot ANY aircraft carefully under those circumstances. Taildraggers can be a lot of fun, but tri-gear is my choice.

SixFingeredLouie
SixFingeredLouie

Postby onex28 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 5:36 pm

Interesting Louie, I'm doing the tri gear as well. My first two homebuilts were TW but I think I will enjoy the Onex as a tri gear. Go figufre, I'm #28 and my letter gives a ship date of Aug. 29 week. Am I upset, no, not with a guy with a handle like SixFingeredlouie.
onex28

Postby Mike53 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 6:14 pm

onex28 wrote:Interesting Louie, I'm doing the tri gear as well. My first two homebuilts were TW but I think I will enjoy the Onex as a tri gear. Go figufre, I'm #28 and my letter gives a ship date of Aug. 29 week. Am I upset, no, not with a guy with a handle like SixFingeredlouie.

Lol
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Previous

Return to Onex