Sub kit ordered

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Sub kit ordered

Postby Mike53 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:32 am

After countless hours looking at homebuilts that I thought I might like to build.Telling my wife "Well I think it will be this one" only to tell her a week or two later "no I think it will be this one now" and then one month later try to explian to her why that one is not right.When you have been married for 37 years you get used to that look from your wife that says 'Boys will be boys' but no more.After visiting the Sonex site and seeing the Onex with a wings that fold up at the flick of a lever ,I new my searching was over.When I told my wife I found it, I got that look, but then told her I ordered my tail kit ,signed up for the workshop in October she was genuinely happy for me.After 37 years I have learned to count my blessings. :D
Mike
I know but one freedom, and that is the freedom of the mind.
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Re: Sub kit ordered

Postby N111YX » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:51 am

Cool....looking forward to following your progress...!
Kip

2010 Waiex 0082 (first flight May 2010)
Jabiru 3300 #1637 and #3035
Dynon D-180
Becker radios
Garmin GDL 82 ADS-B
1050 hours
48 states visited
Based near Atlanta

Also flying a...
2000 Kolb Firestar II, Rotax 503, 575 hours
N111YX

Postby Dan » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:15 pm

I ordered the tail kit as well. I had been looking at the Zenith CH750 but realized I am no bush pilot. Besides, if you fly low and slow out here you can get shot at by drug cartel spotters, happened to a fellow Tripacer pilot, or you may find yourself being followed by a DEA Blackhawk. I am 6'6" tall so I am very happy they made the Onex big enough. Well let's hope they made it big enough. A large friend of mine sat in it at Oshkosh and said it was "roomy". He felt I would be fine. That conversation triggered my tail kit purchase. Previously I built the tail section of a Vans RV-9A but then sold it and bought a hangar instead. I'm very much looking forward to getting started and following others in this venture.

Dan Watters
Tucson, AZ.
Dan

Postby Mike53 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:31 pm

Dan wrote:I ordered the tail kit as well. I had been looking at the Zenith CH750 but realized I am no bush pilot. Besides, if you fly low and slow out here you can get shot at by drug cartel spotters, happened to a fellow Tripacer pilot, or you may find yourself being followed by a DEA Blackhawk. I am 6'6" tall so I am very happy they made the Onex big enough. Well let's hope they made it big enough. A large friend of mine sat in it at Oshkosh and said it was "roomy". He felt I would be fine. That conversation triggered my tail kit purchase. Previously I built the tail section of a Vans RV-9A but then sold it and bought a hangar instead. I'm very much looking forward to getting started and following others in this venture.

Dan Watters
Tucson, AZ.

Glad to have another tail builder on board, and an experienced one at that.I was looking at the 701 and when I came to the realization that it couldn't be built for less than $35k due to the limited engine choices,I ordered my tail kit for the Onex and it looks a lot cooler to boot 8-)
ps. At 6'1" I should be able to wear a top hat .
Mike
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Reserved C-FONX for the 80th Onex,Hummel 85HP ,Tri gear,GRT Mini X EFIS,and EMS,iFly 740 GPS
Mike53

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:17 am

Thanks Mike. I'm looking forward to pulling rivets instead of bucking them. Like you the cost factor was a large part of my decision to go with the Onex. The cool factor another. Have you received any information as to when we sub kit builders might receive our tail kits? I'm wondering how Sonex is working the deliveries with so many seeming to have ordered the complete kit. I'm like a little kid waiting for Christmas.
Dan

Postby Andy Walker » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:20 am

Congrats! It will really be neat to start seeing Onex completions. I guess if you're building a Onex your wife has no interest in flying with you. :lol:
Andy Walker

Postby Mike53 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:30 am

Dan I'm going to the workshop in October and they told me I would be able to bring the tail kit home with me as I had requested but initially they told me it would have been shipped sometime in september but then, I ordered it in late June.
I'm saving the shipping cost but will have to pay the Wisconsin sales tax of 5%.I had asked if the fuselage could be ready then also but was told no so I plan to pick it up next year when My brother-in-law and myself go to Oshkosh. Merry Christmas
Mike
Mike
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Mike53

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:07 pm

OK OK so I will stop looking out the window every time I hear a vehicle I think might be the UPS truck.

I am thinking about going to the workshop in Oct too. Oshkosh is a long ways way from Tucson but maybe a drive around the country in fall would be nice. Do you also save the crating fee if you pick up at the factory?
Dan

Postby Mike53 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:33 pm

Dan wrote:OK OK so I will stop looking out the window every time I hear a vehicle I think might be the UPS truck.

I am thinking about going to the workshop in Oct too. Oshkosh is a long ways way from Tucson but maybe a drive around the country in fall would be nice. Do you also save the crating fee if you pick up at the factory?

Alas,no.They said it still will be crated ergo the fee.I just figured since I will be there may as well take it home and save the shipping and as I said since I will be at Oshkosh next year may as well bring home the Fuselage then also.I was told by someone there that I could expect to pay around $800 for shipping the Fuse to my location in Ontario Canada .
Mike
Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Mike53

Postby Dan » Thu Aug 04, 2011 2:30 pm

Just signed up for the workshop. Looking forward to meeting other builders and getting up close to the Onex prototype and taking lots of pictures.
Dan

Next

Return to Onex