The inevitable fuel spill disaster

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: The inevitable fuel spill disaster

Postby WaiexB22 » Thu May 09, 2024 12:45 am

Skippydiesel wrote:
Note: My Sonex centre tank, is filled vie either wing tank, so no fuel close to canopy.

What pump(s) are you using to transfer? How fast does it transfer?
Robert
Waiex-B 0022
Yamaha Apex
Building
WaiexB22

Postby Skippydiesel » Thu May 09, 2024 3:54 am

A single Transfer pump, Facet Posi-Flow PN 60303. 7-10 psi,129 L/hr = 2.15L/min. It's slow but adequate. There is a wing tank selector valve - Left, Right, Off, that must be turned to the "active" tank.

I have 30 L in each wing tank and 35L in the fuselage tank. I mostly transfer in the air but on occasion, top up the fuselage tank on the ground and then fill both wing tanks.

My son has made me a semi automatic fuel transfer system (can be turned to manual) that works very well. I just select the wing tank I want to use, press the Auto Fill button and the Transfer pump starts. The Auto Fill works on fuel level and on time. If its taking to long for the fuel to get to the preset 35L level, it will time out and stop the pump.

My fuel return line, about 7L/hr, goes to the fuselage tank.

I can use my Boost pump ( Facet Cube PN 40135, 4-7psi, Flow 121.13L/hr = 2L/Min) on any of the three tanks for TO/Landings, however it's simpler to just use the fuselage tank.
Skippydiesel

Postby 13brv3 » Thu May 09, 2024 2:56 pm

Skippydiesel wrote:13brv3,

On the matter of pump priming - from the photo it looks very like your pump is a centrifugal type. Centrifugal do not easily self prim when mounted above the liquid source.

The Fill-Rite folks are very quick with replies to questions. Priming is indeed the issue. They said the automatic nozzle requires 4psi to actuate, and the centrifugal pump can't generate that much pressure if it's lost prime. I do have a few options to get it working, and I'll definitely be reinstalling the automatic nozzle.
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby 13brv3 » Sat May 11, 2024 12:29 am

I think I've pretty much settled on the new fuel funnel. It seals to the inside of the tank neck with an o-ring, and should dump any overfill or spill harmlessly on the cowl. Now I just have to be vigilant about using it.
Attachments
ONX0085 0885.jpg
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Previous

Return to Onex