Electrical Failure

Discussion for builders, pilots, owners, and those interested in building or owning a Onex.

Re: Electrical Failure

Postby WaiexB22 » Tue May 07, 2024 8:01 pm

daleandee wrote:
EarthX batteries have a BMS that will shut the battery off under certain conditions to protect the battery. In a plane that doesn't require power to run that might be acceptable (still not to me). I don't use EarthX because my Corvair airplane requires power to run and having the electrical system shut down isn't something I can take a chance on.

Dale - Are you running one battery or two?
Robert
Waiex-B 0022
Yamaha Apex
Building
WaiexB22

Postby daleandee » Tue May 07, 2024 9:17 pm

WaiexB22 wrote:
daleandee wrote:
EarthX batteries have a BMS that will shut the battery off under certain conditions to protect the battery. In a plane that doesn't require power to run that might be acceptable (still not to me). I don't use EarthX because my Corvair airplane requires power to run and having the electrical system shut down isn't something I can take a chance on.

Dale - Are you running one battery or two?

One - Odyssey PC680

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Postby WaiexB22 » Tue May 07, 2024 9:27 pm

Thanks!
Robert
Waiex-B 0022
Yamaha Apex
Building
WaiexB22

Postby daleandee » Tue May 07, 2024 9:40 pm

Just today I replaced a Odyssey PC680 battery in a Corvair powered Zenith 701 for a friend. His battery was eight years old (2016) and still cranking the plane just fine. We were assisiting the A&P with the condition inspection. I had suggested that the battery be replaced because several months ago he left the ignition on overnight and completely killed that battery. After recharging, it performed flawlessly but for the sake of safety (the Corvair requires power to run) a fresh battery was installed.

For those that apparently do not know the difference between a flooded lead acid battery and a Absorbent Glass Mat battery I suggest doing a bit of research and see why AGM is much better and then consider why Odyssey batteries receive a very high grade in the AGM department. Are there cheaper batteries that I can buy for my airplane? Nope, nada, no way ...

https://www.autonationmobileservice.com ... lead-acid/

Dale
3.0 Corvair/Tailwheel
daleandee

Postby Skippydiesel » Tue May 07, 2024 11:39 pm

Dale FYI:
Every motorcycle battery that I used in my last aircraft (current one came with an EarthX already fitted) was a motorcycle AGM.
All gave excellent service and at a very competitive price.
Anything sold under/with the name AIRCRAFT/AVIATION is at a premium cost.
Sometimes this is deserved but more often not.
Sometimes there is no choice (certified aircraft) but where there is you may be pleasantly surprised at what other cost effective options there are in the marketplace - you just have to be willing to check it out (do your homework ie know the dimensions of the battery, minimum CCA's, terminal type/orientation/ etc before you start, only look at sites with full specification including weight))
Skippydiesel

Postby GordonTurner » Wed May 08, 2024 9:59 am

I have installed dual Shorai LiFePo batteries in my Corvair powered Waiex. I purchased them directly from Shorai and found a 15% off discount code online somewhere that worked. Either one can crank the motor, and there is provision to parallel them if needed. Normally, one or the other is sitting completely isolated from the electrical system ready to directly power the secondary ignition if something happens to the electrical system/other battery/primary ignition.

The batteries are super light, not cheap but reasonably priced, and quality seems high. And no BMS to shut them down (yes, that means you better not forget to turn off your master). I also installed a thermocouple on each battery so I expect to get a warning if things aren’t going well.
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Postby GordonTurner » Wed May 08, 2024 12:25 pm

If anyone is interested, here’s a 10% coupon. Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick as they say :)

IMG_1067.jpeg
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Previous

Return to Onex