Drilling OneX Main Gear

Discussion for Onex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Drilling OneX Main Gear

Postby A10snoopy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:31 pm

I am working on ONX-L01, and looking for advice on drilling the six AN-5 holes for the main gear. Any suggestions? I know the Homebuilders Help guys drilled partway into the main gear while on the fuselage to mark the hole locations, then up drilled the main gear on the drill press.

Any good techniques would be appreciated.

Paul
OneX 0076
A10snoopy

Re: Drilling OneX Main Gear

Postby inventor » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:34 am

Isn't there more than just six bolts? I am working on Onex 150 and will have to check my plans and get back to you.

Richard
Onex 150
inventor

Postby A10snoopy » Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:26 am

Correction, ten AN-5 bolts.

Paul
A10snoopy

Postby inventor » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:14 am

The way I did the main gear on my Onex is:
1.) Found the center as best I could by measuring and drew a center line across.
2.) Marked the two center holes leaving the same amount of space on each side.
3.) Drilled one of those holes to 1/8 inch.
4.) Clecoed the gear in place using the center hole already matched drilled from the belly skin into the cross piece frame. Support the ends of the gear so it doesn't hang on one cleco.
5.) Centered the gear and matched drilled the other center hole and put in another cleco.(#30)
6.) Match drilled the remaining holes to 1/8 (#30).

From that point I up drilled all the mount holes close to final size on the drill press for the gear and with a hand drill on the fuselage. Then clecoed the all holes together and match drilled them to final size.

I did think later that I could have balanced the gear on a knife edge to check if the center line was correct. Also I pressed in the axle bolts by pulling them in with a nut and a bunch of spacers around th bolt prior to mounting. After I mounted the gear I removed it again when I discovered that there are some rivets for the wing skin that are blocked by the gear. Some people have put in the rivets upside down but I don't want to do that. I also primered the fuselage in the space under the gear as well as the gear itself.
Onex 150
inventor

Postby lgsievila » Wed Nov 25, 2020 11:36 am

For what it is worth you can go to Mykitlog and see how I did it. Link below is to first log entry and you can go on to next log entries to follow the process.

http://www.mykitlog.com/users/display_l ... 1711&row=7
Loren Sievila
Conventional Gear Onex33
CAMit 2200
Dynon Skyview
lgsievila

Postby A10snoopy » Wed Nov 25, 2020 1:44 pm

Thanks, guys. Paul
A10snoopy

Return to Onex Plans