Onex Lower Firewall Angle

Discussion for Onex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Onex Lower Firewall Angle

Postby Bacon8tor » Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:11 pm

The holes for the machine angled Lower Firewall Angle, ONX-F08-06, do not match with the plans. Has anyone else had this problem? I haven't seen anything on the revisions. I don't have access to email and can't call Sonex tech support during their hours. Hoping I can get an answer here on the forum. Thanks.
John Bacon
Henderson, NV
Onex 164 N702JB Reserved
95% done.....
Bacon8tor

Re: Onex Lower Firewall Angle

Postby 13brv3 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:19 pm

Mine didn't match either. I had to drill a couple extra holes, and not use some of the ones that were there.

The upper right longeron holes on my machined angle part had a problem as well. Check the front holes against the glare shield holes to see if they match up. I just used the glare shield to drill new holes as needed.

Finally, the F08-14 and F08-02 parts fit together for the seat support on the rear of the floor. There are two holes that join the angles on the side with the main angle. On my machine parts, I riveted them together as shown, and found out that the main angle sits about 1/8" off the floor skin instead of flush. I had to take them apart an drill new holes to mount the main angle lower, against the skin.

I told Sonex about the last two, but I don't think I mentioned the first one. FWIW, my kit# is 0191. Of course even with a few errors, the machine parts are just great!

Cheers,
Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby Bacon8tor » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:27 pm

Thanks Rusty. Good to know I'm not alone here. I also had the same problems with the other things you said. I too riveted the seat support together as per plans not only to find the bracket holes didn't line up with the longeron holes but that the assembly was slightly too wide to fit between the left and right longerons. I'll have to take it apart, grind the brackets, and probably have to up drill the holes where the brackets meet the support to perhaps 1/4 inch and replace the rivets with bolts.

I also had another problem where two of the eight motor mount brackets were mislabeled. My solution was to just test fit all the brackets until (most) of the holes match up. Some of the holes are missing here too.

Lastly, for others who run into these same problems, I and others had to chamfer every motor mount bracket aggressively to get them to fit correctly. I first used an angle grinder followed by a scotchbrite wheel on a bench grinder. I've learned this is typical with many of the machined parts but still well worth the price over making these parts yourself.

Why did you sell the gyro? I've never flown one but have really been interested in an old Air Command or Bensen.
John Bacon
Henderson, NV
Onex 164 N702JB Reserved
95% done.....
Bacon8tor

Postby 13brv3 » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:03 pm

Bacon8tor wrote:Why did you sell the gyro? I've never flown one but have really been interested in an old Air Command or Bensen.

I guess I'm just not really an open cockpit kinda guy. All that shaking, wind, and noise made it a little too scary for me.

Cheers,
Rusty
Rusty
Onex- Rotax 912 (130 hours and counting)
Fixed wing, gyroplane, A&P
13brv3

Postby Bacon8tor » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:48 pm

I was thinking the same thing never having flown a gyro. Think I want that open cockpit feel but would probably be a little overwhelming. And I'd be afraid I'd nose over too much and tumble out of the sky.
John Bacon
Henderson, NV
Onex 164 N702JB Reserved
95% done.....
Bacon8tor

Return to Onex Plans