4.5 inch hole in windscreen

Discussion for Onex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

4.5 inch hole in windscreen

Postby onex28 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:59 am

Sonex has no video tip on cutting the windscreen hole to access the fuel tank and my drill press throat is 1/2 inch short to use my fly cutter or a hole saw. How have other Onex builders cut that hole?

David
Onex 28
onex28

Re: 4.5 inch hole in windscreen

Postby Klimek » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:10 am

David,
I located where I wanted the center above the fuel cap and curved (bent slightly) the cover that comes with the kit and located the cover on the center just marked on the screen, drew around it with a fine
tip black marker. I then drew another circle with a dia. 3/4" less and drew another circle. This is the circle I cut out, allowing for a 3/8" overlap all the way around. I used a Dremel tool and a carbide (small and pointed tipped) started the hole with the tip INSIDE the inner circle and worked my way around very
carefully. I finished the hole with a fine flat file that was rounded on one side, emery paper then scotch bright pad to finish.
Now, my screen was installed when I cut this hole and the holes for the snap vents on the sides.
I used clear plastic tape ( the kind we use in the car business to add a protective film to the leading edge of the hood, fenders, mirrors, etc.) to cover the screen around the hole going out about an inch or so. I figure this will keep the cover from scratching the screen and can be replaced when needed.
By the way, fueling the ONEX is a bunch easier than I suspected. I was concerned about spills, however, I can see in the tank and adjust the flow so as not to spill inside.
I do put a towel around the neck and opening just incase. 15 hours on my ONEX and not a drop spilled.
By the way, you're gonna love it.
Frank
ONEX 090
N1970T
Klimek

Postby merle reppert » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:01 am

Be sure you polish the edge of the filler hole in the wind screen ----Mine cracked real bad
after 72 hours (hot sun )----New wind screens are expensive ?
Merle Reppert
merle reppert

Postby onex28 » Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:39 pm

Thanks for the info Frank and Merle. I'll see if I can do this without cracking anything.

David
onex28

Postby PeterNYNJ » Sun Aug 23, 2015 1:19 am

I just did this recently too with the "Dremel circle and straight cutter guide" discussed in the Tools section. I cut the holes while laying the Lexan flat on some scrap wood. It was the same tool I used for the instrument panel and inspection holes and the tool makes it easy. Thanks for the tip about finishing the edges to avoid cracks later. Good luck!
Peter
Onex #170
Aerovee 2.1
Conventional Gear
Flight Test Phase 1
PeterNYNJ

Postby slyoho » Mon May 09, 2016 6:37 pm

To avoid scratching the windshield with the fuel cap cover, I used self adhesive vinyl on the bottom
of the cover. This gave me the idea to apply vinyl to the top of it also (carbon fiber look alike) instead
of painting it.

Steve Yoho
Onex 0104
slyoho

Postby Onex107 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:36 pm

I learned the hard way. There is some fine print somewhere in the manual that warns you to not drip fuel, or any other solvent, on the installed windshield. We tested a straight piece of the material in gasoline without any reaction. But bend it a little and drip gasoline on it and it will fail immediately.
The solvent relieves the stress on the outside surface of the bend. I wonder if heat treating the bent windshield would relieve the stress? I have added black peel and stick shelf paper around the hole tapered down to the front edge and also use a towel. It does not interfere with forward vision. If you fuel from cans, get the ones that have a valve in the nozzle so the fuel doesn't drain until you are inserted and ready.
OneX 107
N2107X
Onex107

Return to Onex Plans