FWD Gear Attach Angle

Discussion for Onex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

FWD Gear Attach Angle

Postby surfly » Fri Jul 24, 2015 7:47 pm

I am fabricating all of my angle parts instead of buying the angle parts kit. P/N F-08-09 (Forward Gear Attach Angles) have an 1" spanwise cutout of the 2"x2" aluminum angle. What is the importance of this cut out? It is it necessary? I am inclined to leave the full 2"x2" span reasoning that by doing so it will just add more strength to my landing gear. These can be found on drawing # ONX-F08.

Opinions please.
Surfly
surfly

Re: FWD Gear Attach Angle

Postby inventor » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:03 pm

I have been wondering the same thing. Is the cutout just for cutting down on weight? It seems that fuselage area where the landing gear mount is pretty flimsy so maybe without cutting the material out a little strength could be gained. Maybe someone with a finished airplane could comment on whether this will cause a problem. Anyone with an opinion?
Onex 150
inventor

Postby Klimek » Sat Jul 25, 2015 2:33 pm

A reply to both of y'all.
I find that my heels can hang on the forward angle when I pull my feet back. It is possible to get my feet hung and one rudder pedal pushed. I have to try, but, I
can do it. My "fix" was to add a piece of lightweight honeycomb material in front of the front angle to raise the floor. It does seem that leaving the angle full dimension
would add rigidity but also weight. it's a trade off. Ounces make pounds. There will be other opportunities to fall into temptation and add something later on in the build
that will slake your thirst for added pounds....There are two vertical angles on each side of the angles that also take up load and transfer it to the rest of the fuselage.
It seems plenty strong in that area already.
By the way, did I mention that I have big feet?
Did not get to fly 'ole #090" to KOSH but did spend time at the SOINEX booth and talked with Betty, John and Jeremy's brother. They are holding up well as you all know.
Better than I would be doing.
Maybe I'll make it to Crossville.
I hope that blue skies are shining on all, nothing but blue skies do I see.
Frank
ONEX090
Klimek

Postby surfly » Sat Jul 25, 2015 10:04 pm

Frank, thanks for your experiences and thoughts. The possibility of heel hanging has occurred to me as well as the always consideration of weight. Some other builders of various other aircraft designs here at our flyport, (X-59) think that the attach angle may be designed that way to allow for some flex in the center of the gear spring and cockpit floor. This direction of thought I just can't agree with. I think I will go forward using the full 2"x2". I wear a size 10.5 shoe and do not think that I will have the heel hanging problem. If I do I will just have to deal with it.
Thank's again Frank,
Surfly
surfly

Postby Klimek » Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:46 am

Surfly,
You are welcome, anytime.
Frank
"Ole #090"
N1970TK
Klimek

Return to Onex Plans