Onex Inboard Main Spar Assembly page ONX-W16 question

Discussion for Onex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Onex Inboard Main Spar Assembly page ONX-W16 question

Postby dhogue » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:59 am

nboard Main Spar Assembly on page ONX-W16

Postby dhogue » Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:54 am

Hello,

I am currently building the Onex Inboard Main Spar Assembly per the plans on page ONX-W16.
the General construction order for ONX-W16-01, step 1 calls out to: Cleco sub-assembly together per stackup at the top of this drawing.

The standard 3/32 clecos I am using are not long enough for the deep thickness of the drilled holes when all the skin, spars and angles are sandwich layered together. Because the clecos do not hold all the layers together also do not hold, tightly, I cannot updrill for the rivet holes which is the next step.

My question is:
What are suggestions for clecos or other temporary fasteners that can hold the stack layers, tightly, while I up drill to #21 for the solid rivets used on this assembly?

Thank you,
Don
Don Hogue
Onex 0173: Tailwheel: AeroVee Turbo.
Horiz/Vert Stabs, Rudder/Elevators, Fwd/IB/OB/Aileron Bellcranks on Ribs and Main Fwd/Aft Center Wing Spars, Fuselage : Complete.
WIP: Wings
dhogue

Re: Onex Inboard Main Spar Assembly page ONX-W16 question

Postby Tnhelm » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:34 am

I used cleco's on each side, alternating between holes. I supported the assembly with blocks to allow room for the cleco's under the spar. Having learned the hard way, be sure to mark the layers prominently for reassembly after de-burring. I found it easy with all the layers disassembled to get confused with the orientation of the layers, end to end, inside out, and up side down, upon reassembly.
T. Helm
OneX 137
Tnhelm

Postby msedwards » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:46 pm

I bought the longer reach cleco's, you can drill out some of the pilot holes and use piano wire to hold position and clamp then drill some other holes to rivet size then hold together with screws and nuts
when you rivet, but cleco's are faster.
msedwards

Postby dhogue » Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:54 pm

Thanks for the solutions guys.
Don Hogue
Onex 0173: Tailwheel: AeroVee Turbo.
Horiz/Vert Stabs, Rudder/Elevators, Fwd/IB/OB/Aileron Bellcranks on Ribs and Main Fwd/Aft Center Wing Spars, Fuselage : Complete.
WIP: Wings
dhogue

Postby SvingenB » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:38 pm

Reserved LN-ENX for Onex #134
Onex build log
SvingenB

Return to Onex Plans