Rivet direction

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Rivet direction

Postby DWest » Wed Jan 10, 2024 3:21 pm

When using these cherry max pulled rivets does it matter which direction you install them? I think anyone including myself would put them in exactly how the plans say unless there is a good reason otherwise. I did some googling and a post on rivetbangers has me conclude that when using solid rivets the machine head should but not shall be used on the side that has the thinner material. Makes sense, more area on the machine side then the shop head side spreads the load for the thinner material. Is this the same for pulled rivets?

Reason I ask is because the plans call for the main spar rivets to go in back to front, with the machine head on the aft rib side and the squished/pulled side on the front rib. Does it matter? In my situation it would be much easier to install the rivets holding the front rib, spar, spacers, and aft rib from front to back with the machine heads on the front side.
DWest

Re: Rivet direction

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Jan 10, 2024 5:40 pm

It's the same for pulled rivets. Should not really be much difference in strength as rivets should be loaded in shear anyway. I bought a prebuilt spar so I can't comment on the goodness or badness of swapping the solid rivet direction for the spars. If you are just talking about riveting the ribs to the spars, it seems if you can get them set then the direction shouldn't matter. Not sure why it would be easier though.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Re: Rivet direction

Postby DWest » Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:16 pm

Thanks!
DWest