Right Rear Spar W12

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Right Rear Spar W12

Postby DWest » Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:45 pm

Today was the first day of building the wings and I think I dun messed up! I started with the RIGHT rear spar w12. I accidentally used the w13-01L attach plate instead of the w13-01R. Unfortunately, I didn’t catch this until I drilled the rear spar (4 3/32 holes) to sandwich/cleco the spar, w13-02r root rib attach angle bracket, and the w13-01r right hand attach plate (which was actually the 01L plate!). The holes I drilled on the right rear spar (W12) and the w13-02r root rib attach angle bracket (which was backordered for awhile) unfortunately now don’t line up with the correct w13-01r attach plate which is laser drilled. Do you have any advice?

See pics for a better understanding.
The black sharpie marks are where the holes are now in the spar and the angle bracket. I figure I can either order a new rear spar W12 and a w13-02R angle bracket OR just order a W13-01R attach plate and instead of using the tiny laser pilot holes in it, just drill my own 4 holes because the positioning of the bracket is where it should be.

Any thoughts?

Lesson learned: Don't have left side parts out when I'm doing the right and vice-versa!!
Attachments
right rear spar2.jpeg
right rear spar1.jpeg
DWest

Re: Right Rear Spar W12

Postby Area 51% » Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:06 am

From here, it doesn't look like anything other than the spar has been compromised. New spar....done deal. That is, unless the factory has another option.
If you do query the factory tech, do it soon as Kerry's last day is Friday I believe.

I just completed these units two days ago myself. The problem I ran into was the little radius blocks. They show a 1/8in radius on the print, but the radius on the root rib attach angle is 1/4in. The rivet and bolt holes come up through the middle of the radius. A thicker block was needed. .
Area 51%

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Jul 12, 2023 9:24 am

Call Kerry. But also can you make a new W13-02R out of raw angle stock?
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Area 51% » Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:31 pm

Interesting that you have to drill the holes in the 02 attach angles. I picked up my wing kit in May and all pilot holes (including the wing rib holes) have already been drilled.

I thought a "B" came with the machined angle component package .
Area 51%

Postby DWest » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:21 pm

Area 51% wrote:From here, it doesn't look like anything other than the spar has been compromised. New spar....done deal. That is, unless the factory has another option.
If you do query the factory tech, do it soon as Kerry's last day is Friday I believe.

I just completed these units two days ago myself. The problem I ran into was the little radius blocks. They show a 1/8in radius on the print, but the radius on the root rib attach angle is 1/4in. The rivet and bolt holes come up through the middle of the radius. A thicker block was needed. .

I emailed them as soon as I understood what I did last weekend. I hope someone is replacing him!!
DWest

Postby DWest » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:23 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:Call Kerry. But also can you make a new W13-02R out of raw angle stock?

I don't have the knowledge or know how to be making any aluminum parts from scratch other than what's provided. Hence a kit plane is the way for me!
DWest

Postby DWest » Thu Jul 13, 2023 3:28 pm

Area 51% wrote:Interesting that you have to drill the holes in the 02 attach angles. I picked up my wing kit in May and all pilot holes (including the wing rib holes) have already been drilled.

I thought a "B" came with the machined angle component package .

All the wing ribs holes on the rear spar are pre-drilled EXECPT there was no holes for the rear spar attach plate/angle bracket...Hmm the plot thickens.

The 02 attach angles were on backorder with my kit and I just received them last week. Then proceeded to booger up the first one I touched!!
DWest

Return to Sonex Plans