W08 main wing spar rivet ID

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

W08 main wing spar rivet ID

Postby Frankart » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:12 pm

I'm an old plans builder. I had to cut and file from my spar caps myself. I'm finally working on the main spars.

The rivet call-outs are a bit vague on this page. There are two rivets that the plans do not indicate to be countersunk (with the F subscript next to the holes) but I find it odd that they are not given their location and proximity to other countersunk holes.
I've attached pics of what I have. I'm hoping someone can help me. I've circled the questionable locations in red.
Thanks
Jeff
Attachments
InkedIMG_0956_LI.jpg
InkedIMG_0955_LI.jpg
Frankart

Re: W08 main wing spar rivet ID

Postby Frankart » Sun Aug 09, 2020 3:21 pm

I just noticed something else. The solid rivets going through the spar cap and through the main web at each rib station does not get updrilled to final size yet per plan sheet W08. I understand not riveting these, but shouldn't the hole be updrilled to final size so it can be deburred while I have everything apart?
Last edited by Frankart on Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Frankart

Postby Rofomoto » Sun Aug 09, 2020 4:07 pm

Not at my plans right now but might be the 1/4” spar alignment hole
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby Rynoth » Sun Aug 09, 2020 10:03 pm

Rofomoto wrote:Not at my plans right now but might be the 1/4” spar alignment hole

Same, and I think this is correct. Those holes don't get rivets at all, they are only there for the wing rigging process.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby sonex892. » Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:08 am

Frankart wrote:I just noticed something else. The solid rivets going through the spar can and through the main web at each wing station does not get updrilled to final size yet per plan sheet W08. I understand not riveting these, but shouldn't the hole be updrilled to final size so it can be deburred while I have everything apart?

For this second question, I think you mean the rib stations?. Check the notes but from memory the ribs are riveted to the spar with 1/8" pop rivets not solid 5/32".
Steve
Sonex 892
Steve
Lazair kit 1981 sold
Sonerai 2LS plansbuilt 2003 sold
Sonex kit 2010
Sonerai 2LS project rotax 912
sonex892.

Postby Frankart » Mon Aug 10, 2020 7:04 am

sonex892. wrote:
Frankart wrote:I just noticed something else. The solid rivets going through the spar can and through the main web at each wing station does not get updrilled to final size yet per plan sheet W08. I understand not riveting these, but shouldn't the hole be updrilled to final size so it can be deburred while I have everything apart?

For this second question, I think you mean the rib stations?. Check the notes but from memory the ribs are riveted to the spar with 1/8" pop rivets not solid 5/32".
Steve
Sonex 892

You’re right. I meant rib station.
Thanks for the help.
Frankart

Postby Rynoth » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:45 am

Frankart wrote:
sonex892. wrote:

Steve
Sonex 892

You’re right. I meant rib station.
Thanks for the help.

Yea, those holes don't get updrilled until you've fit/clecoed the ribs to the spar, so you updrill the spar and ribs together.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Frankart » Mon Aug 10, 2020 10:30 am

Rynoth wrote:
Rofomoto wrote:Not at my plans right now but might be the 1/4” spar alignment hole

Same, and I think this is correct. Those holes don't get rivets at all, they are only there for the wing rigging process.

Both of y’all are right. I went back to to look at W10 and found the note to indicate those holes are for rigging. Thanks for the help.
Frankart

Return to Sonex Plans