Azuza wheel bearing race

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Re: Azuza wheel bearing race

Postby Sonex1243 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 6:02 pm

Much better, just need the upgraded bearings for later.

Ken S
SONEX #1243 N424SX (reserved)
Tail complete, wings done
Fuselage on gear
Jab 3300 received!
Sonex1243

Postby SNX1508 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 4:25 am

Sonex1243 wrote:Just to be sure, the upgraded bearing would be the same "drop in" if I was to set the depth with the existing bearing? Ordering the upgraded ones today.
Thanks again everyone.

Total thickness of wheel/bearings is greater when installing the new bearings with the rubber seals.
Terry
Sonex #1508
N296SX
AeroVee #0736
Tail Dragger
http://www.mykitlog.com/SNX1508
SNX1508

Postby DCASonex » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:13 am

Minor note, but do not drill your axles for the cotter pin that locks the nut until after you have the new bearings installed. The rubber seal adds to length through bore. My kit had the old bearings, but when I went to install the upgraded ones, the new holes would have been too close to the old ones and weakened the axle. Still using the old ones, new ones in a parts bin somewhere.

David A.
DCASonex

Postby Gordon » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:08 am

To Ken S............

Yes, the upgraded bearing Azusa-8229 will drop right in, then a large diameter washer goes up against it (both sides).

I have some good close up pictures of that I can send you if you send me your email a.d.

I don't know how to post photos on this site. gdbaxter78@gmail.com

Gordon.....Hummel 2400....Onex
Gordon

Postby Sonex1243 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:47 pm

DCASonex wrote:Minor note, but do not drill your axles for the cotter pin that locks the nut until after you have the new bearings installed. The rubber seal adds to length through bore. My kit had the old bearings, but when I went to install the upgraded ones, the new holes would have been too close to the old ones and weakened the axle. Still using the old ones, new ones in a parts bin somewhere.

Thanks for the reminder Dave, I saw verbiage on the web store about the upgraded bearings may require some trimming of the axle spacers due to the increased thickness and didn't think about the final axle nut cotter hole location.

For Gordon, email sent.
Ken S
SONEX #1243 N424SX (reserved)
Tail complete, wings done
Fuselage on gear
Jab 3300 received!
Sonex1243

Postby pfhoeycfi » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:23 am

Sonex1243 wrote:Getting ready to assemble my rims and tires and see that the bearing and nut washer sit about an 1/8" high from being flush with the axle bore on the rim. There is room to seat the bearing race further down and allow a nice flush mount when the wheel and axle nut is installed. Has anyone had to do the same?

I just sent a similar pic to Sonex and Azusa with my pic having a small ruler in place indicating the dimension above the wheel, another pic showing the gap dimension at the bottom of the race and was told by both that my wheel race depth looks good, meaning do not drive the races deeper. My races are about 3/16 above the hub (gap at bottom), the seal about 1/8 above the wheel. Is anyone not driving the races deeper?
Peter Hoey
SEL Pvt, Comm Glider, CFIG, Pawnee & L19 Towpilot
Philadelphia Glider Council
Sonex B SNB0021, N561PH, Taildragger, Aerovee Turbo, MGL MX1, First flight Dec 18, 2022
Also built Sonerai IIL N86PH
pfhoeycfi

Postby T41pilot » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:25 am

I had the same question last summer and Kerry wasn't sure at that time if that was a problem. I went ahead and seated mine the rest of the way so the washer was flush. It just seemed like a better idea to me to help keep dirt out of the bearing. My plane isn't flying yet, so I can't tell you if there any ill effects yet. The wheels turn fine so I'm assuming OK at this point.
Gregg Kaat
Sonex B #0014
T41pilot

Postby WaiexN143NM » Sun Apr 05, 2020 5:22 pm

Hi all,
Yes this is a common occurance with the azusa wheels. you can use a large socket and a press, or gently tap with socket and hammer. Weve posted this a few times on the site, happy to repost for newer members. the races wont go completely to the bottom. they will set about 1/8 from the bottom. this is to allow race removal tool. new races can be purchased from azusa. also with the standard tires, you will want to run the pressure to 50 psi. i know the rims say max pressure 30 psi. but if you dont the tubes can easily slip inside and shear off the valve stems.
good luck!

WaiexN143NM
Michael
WaiexN143NM

Postby Rynoth » Sun Apr 05, 2020 6:22 pm

WaiexN143NM wrote:also with the standard tires, you will want to run the pressure to 50 psi. i know the rims say max pressure 30 psi. but if you dont the tubes can easily slip inside and shear off the valve stems.
good luck!

WaiexN143NM
Michael

I've never heard this before. What force would cause the tubes to slip enough to shear off the valve stems? Or do you mean the entire tire may rotate around the wheel?
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun Apr 05, 2020 7:02 pm

Under braking the tire would rotate around the rim and pull the tube with it.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

PreviousNext

Return to Sonex Plans