SNX-F18 disassembly

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

SNX-F18 disassembly

Postby SP1 » Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:04 pm

Hello All,
I'm still in the process of removing the tail cone longerons to replace them (they had too many holes in them). I'm not sure how to unscrew these two screws from the fuselage. I think it involves removing the SNX-F24-01 cross member. Is that correct / necessary? If so, there are some tight spaces to derivet. Anyone know of a way to do that? Thanks very much.
SP1

Re: SNX-F18 disassembly

Postby Rofomoto » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:37 pm

The nuts for those bolts are concealed inside that cross tie box. You can remove the bottom cover of that box by drilling out a lot of rivets or cut small access holes close enough to the ends of the box to allow a wrench to get in and hold the nuts. I would make a cover for the access holes when reassembled and rivet closed.
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Postby SP1 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 12:16 pm

Thanks very much for the information. It's a weird design, how bolt nuts are inaccessible after riveting. Access plates seem like a good idea.
SP1

Postby rizzz » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:48 am

SP1 wrote:Thanks very much for the information. It's a weird design, how bolt nuts are inaccessible after riveting. Access plates seem like a good idea.

Access plates would compromise it structurally I think, it holds the airplane's shape and equally importantly, you will sit on this piece every time you enter/exit the aircraft :-)
I would not compromise it's strength by putting big holes in it.
Perhaps a small 1" hole (just pig enough to put a spanner through) created with a hole saw might be acceptable, but you'd need to check with the factory to make sure.
In any case, drilling out the bottom rivets is just as easy.
Michael
Sonex #145 from scratch (mostly)
Taildragger, 2.4L VW engine, AeroInjector, Prince 54x48 P-Tip
VH-MND, CofA issued 2nd of November 2015
First flight 7th of November 2015
Phase I Completed, 11th of February 2016
http://www.mykitlog.com/rizzz/
rizzz

Return to Sonex Plans