Rudder and elevator travel

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Rudder and elevator travel

Postby Rofomoto » Mon May 21, 2018 6:37 am

Installing tail and only able to get 23 deg up and 21 deg right rudder. Had to modify elevator horn a little to get the 23 deg. I trimmed bottom skin to get the 3 1/4 in from the vertical post as shown in view A on prints. I can get 25 deg on rudder but only left. Is this common? Thanx for any help. Billy
Longassproject
E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles (next year 16- 0)
Rofomoto

Re: Rudder and elevator travel

Postby Sonex1384 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:33 am

Not sure if it's common but if I recall I had a little trouble getting the full rudder deflection. I don't remember if it was both directions or just one but my issue had to do with the way the rudder control horn/stops contacted. I think I had to sand down the little stop plates and possible touch up the horns as well so that they contacted flat. It didn't take much if I recall. As for the elevator one place you may want to look is how close the control rod gets to the last little bulkhead before the stab. It may be touching. I messed up a bit on mine and had the horizontal stab slightly more forward than it should and as a result the rod touched the bulkhead.
Sonex1384

Postby Rofomoto » Tue May 29, 2018 11:05 am

thanx for the reply..My interest is, does everyone have a full 25 deg left and right rudder? I have read on here my elevator with 23 deg will be ok...billy
Longassproject
Rofomoto

Postby peter anson » Wed May 30, 2018 6:25 am

I don't think I ever checked full rudder other than to make sure that the stop was hitting in the right place (it wasn't ). If you can't get the full 25 deg both ways you at least need it one way. For Jabiru engines you need as much right rudder as possible, and for Aerovee engines it would presumably be best to have as much left rudder as possible.

Peter
peter anson

Postby Rofomoto » Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:06 am

Thanx Peter, I will be using an aerovee so hopefully I’m ok.
Longassproject
Rofomoto

Return to Sonex Plans