Curved glare shield and instrument panel

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Curved glare shield and instrument panel

Postby lstinthot » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:09 pm

Does anyone have the dimensions to make the curved glare shield and instrument panel? I have experimented a bit today coming up with a smooth glare shield. Only one more piece of 0.032" big enough to make it over again. Today's piece started out big then I cut some off the firewall end and took too much off. I am pretty close to getting it, just curious if anyone else that has done this has the dimensions they ended up at.

Thanks,
Mike
Scratch building #1604
Tail dragger
Thinking Turbo Aerovee
lstinthot

Re: Curved glare shield and instrument panel

Postby GordonTurner » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:50 am

Mike

I was planning to make the same kind of modification. You're way ahead of me so I can't help you, but, looking forward to seeing what you come up with. One thing I have read from somebody that did this mod previously is they left the hex glare shield in place, with a bunch of lightening holes, as it is containment for the fuel cell.

Gordon
Waiex 158 New York. N88YX registered.
3.0 Liter Corvair built, run, and installed.
Garmin panel, Shorai LiFePo batteries.
GordonTurner

Re: Curved glare shield and instrument panel

Postby Ercoupechris » Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:35 pm

Ben McGuinness has the curved glare shield. I thought of contacting him about hows he did it but decided to go with the "B" model conversion. I believe Ben's contact info is in the builders database on the Sonex website. Here is a link to some photos.
https://sonexaus.wikispaces.com/Ben+McG ... +Waiex+104
Chris Schuldt
703-928-5199
BRM Aero Bristell NG-5
"B" model Conversion Waiex s/n 64 4th owner, kit from 2007
Edge Performance 915-ECi 120 HP EFI with Ring Mount
Rotax iRMT Service
Rotax iRMT Maintenance
Rotax iRMT Heavy Maintenance
Ercoupechris

Return to Sonex Plans