Main spars updrilling

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

Main spars updrilling

Postby lstinthot » Sun May 08, 2016 8:14 am

Getting ready to updrill the main spar webs and have a question. What size hole are people drilling in the 0.032" (W10-02) that will be dimpled? Final rivet size (#21 drill bit) for the AD5 rivets? If you drill them smaller, do you remove W10-02 and updrill the rest of the stack to #21 then dimple? Seems like this opens up the possibility of having the holes slightly off for dimpling. Is the amount of stretch from drilling straight to #21 enough to worry about? I did a practice piece drilled up to #21, it seems to work, just not sure how much the .032 does not fill the hole.

Thanks
Mike
Scratch building #1604
Tail dragger
Thinking Turbo Aerovee
lstinthot

Re: Main spars updrilling

Postby Bryan Cotton » Sun May 08, 2016 8:22 am

Mike,

My spars were prebuilt, so I didn't get to do that step. I have, however, set lots of AN rivets! The drilling to a smaller size and then dimpling is a 120 degree flush pop rivet thing in my opinion. The 100 degree dimple dies for the AN rivets do not mess with your hole size as much. Also, a solid rivet has a bit more ability to fill a hole anyway. I would just drill to #21, separate, deburr, dimple/countersink and set that rivet. I have never done anything else for AN426AD3 through AD6 flush rivets and as far as I know it was the same at Sikorsky and Schweizer.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby lstinthot » Sun May 08, 2016 3:24 pm

Thanks Bryan

I have not used a rivet gun in the past. I helped a guy set some rivets on an RV-8. I was his bucking bar holder. I decided to cut my test piece open to see how the parts mated together. I think you are right about the hole not stretching much with this dimple die. I think I am going to mark the holes and start to updrill.

Rivetcrosscut.jpg
Here is a crosscut of my test piece.

The lower piece just slide back when I tried to take a picture of it.
Scratch building #1604
Tail dragger
Thinking Turbo Aerovee
lstinthot

Postby n982sx » Mon May 09, 2016 11:56 am

Just to add to Bryan's note,

I am nearing completion of my RV-14A. No holes have been punched - or drilled by me - smaller than standard sizes in the whole airplane, #30, #40 etc. That's 15,000 rivets, most dimpled flush. All of the dimples and solid rivets work just fine.
Bob Meyers

Built and Flying Sonex N982SX http://n982sx.com
Built and Flying RV-14 N626KM http://n626km.com
n982sx

Return to Sonex Plans