SNX-F11 Countersinking Forward Wing Attach Angles

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

SNX-F11 Countersinking Forward Wing Attach Angles

Postby Direct C51 » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:22 pm

I followed the plans when building the forward fuselage side panels and riveted the forward wing attach angles (F14-08). Now I am trying to figure out how to countersink the holes in the forward attach angles as there is just no room to get a drill against the skin. I did leave off the aft attach angles per plans, but this does not solve this problem. Can anyone share some methods on how they countersunk the holes in these angles? I am contemplating removing the rivets on these angles so I can have free access to the holes, but am always wary of unnecessarily drilling out rivets.

If I were to do it again, I certainly would not have riveted the forward wing attach angles until they have been countersunk, although the plans show to rivet the forward angles when building the forward side skins.
Direct C51

Re: SNX-F11 Countersinking Forward Wing Attach Angles

Postby peter anson » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:24 am

Looks like this question has been kicking around for a while and nobody has provided an answer because, like me, they can't see the problem. The forward wing attachment angles have been bent to 86 degrees so the angle between the skin and the rear face of the attachment angle is 94 degrees. If you are using a reasonably small microstop to do the countersinks you should have plenty of room for the drill. If none of that makes sense maybe include a photo to illustrate your problem.

Peter
peter anson

Postby Rynoth » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:10 pm

I used a 12" extension for my countersink bit, chucked it up in the drill and did it that way. Having the extra reach takes advantage of the bend in the attach angle (the farther away from the hole, the more distance between the drill and the side panel.) I didn't use my micro-stop for these holes.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby Bryan Cotton » Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:05 pm

My solution was on page 37:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=578&p=11527&hilit=countersink#p11527

Edit: also hidden under the topic SNX-F12 is another hint:
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=1612

Edit again: I believe there was one or two that I had to freehand (no microstop) like Ryan did. Used my pancake drill.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Return to Sonex Plans