SNX-W18-01 forward wing skin fit

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

SNX-W18-01 forward wing skin fit

Postby Sonex1243 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:27 am

Has anyone run into a slight bow (1/2") lengthwise across the bottom center of the skin after fitting the top and wrapping / re-attaching to the spar for bottom rib pilot drilling?

Were you able to work the skin down from the spar forward while pilot drilling / clecoing from the center forward and outward?

I haven't mustered the nerve to start pilot drilling yet, since it feels like there is quite a bit of pressure needed on the last two forward rivet holes of the rib while trying to work the skin down by hand.
Ken S
SONEX #1243 N424SX (reserved)
Tail complete, wings done
Fuselage on gear
Jab 3300 received!
Sonex1243

Re: SNX-W18-01 forward wing skin fit

Postby Rynoth » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:36 am

I seem to recall something similar on one of my wings, with most of the pressure focused on the forward tip of 1 or 2 wing ribs. I rounded the tips of those ribs slightly to keep them from poking into the skin too much, then just made sure the skin was pulled snug before pilot drilling. End result seems good.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Postby rk2436 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:25 pm

If you are using the kit skins then yes this is a common problem. The leading edge radius is too big. I remember trying to split the difference between the upper and lower sides. If possible try to have the bigger dimples on the underside if possible. Look at most leading edges at Oshkosh next time and you will see a common fit. Don't think its possible to change the radius.
Bob K
Orig builder kit 1143
Now flying RV-12
Evergreen Park,Il
rk2436

Postby Sonex1243 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:52 pm

Nice to know I'm not the only one experiencing this! Thanks for the suggestions.

Rynoth wrote:I seem to recall something similar on one of my wings, with most of the pressure focused on the forward tip of 1 or 2 wing ribs. I rounded the tips of those ribs slightly to keep them from poking into the skin too much, then just made sure the skin was pulled snug before pilot drilling.

Rynoth - Mine was all the way across inboard to outboard on all the rib tips with a gap at the very tip when I get the skin down to the last two rivets.

rk2436 wrote:If you are using the kit skins then yes this is a common problem. The leading edge radius is too big. I remember trying to split the difference between the upper and lower sides. If possible try to have the bigger dimples on the underside if possible.

rk2436 - Good thing I started with the top of the wing, I took a leap of faith (along with a recommendation from Sonex) to re-attach the padded board and work it down that way. So far it has worked well, just need to get the last two rivet holes piloted. We'll have to see how it comes out.

A few pictures of the frankenstein setup to get it worked down to this point.

Ken S
SONEX #1243 N424SX (reserved)
Tail complete, wings done
Fuselage on gear
Jab 3300 received!
Sonex1243

Postby Bryan Cotton » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:07 pm

The issue I see is the skin is not very tight on the two most forward holes on the bottom of the leading edge. I think I will have dimples there. I suppose better on the bottom than the top.
Bryan Cotton
Poplar Grove, IL C77
Waiex 191 N191YX
Taildragger, Aerovee, acro ailerons
dual sticks with sport trainer controls
Prebuilt spars and machined angle kit
Year 2 flying and approaching 200 hours December 23
Bryan Cotton

Postby Rynoth » Fri Dec 18, 2015 1:23 pm

Bryan Cotton wrote:The issue I see is the skin is not very tight on the two most forward holes on the bottom of the leading edge. I think I will have dimples there. I suppose better on the bottom than the top.

Bryan, yea, I had the same thing, it seems the pre-bend in the leading edge could be a bit tighter. Since you're working from the spar forwards, it tends to increase the gap between the ribs and skin as you get to the front. It's a bane for us polishers but I've made my peace with it.
Ryan Roth
N197RR - Waiex #197 (Turbo Aerovee Taildragger)
Knoxville, TN (Hangar at KRKW)
My project blog: http://www.rynoth.com/wordpress/waiex/
Time-lapse video of my build: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8QTd2HoyAM
Rynoth

Return to Sonex Plans