FWF build order

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

FWF build order

Postby Gripdana » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:43 am

I am ready to hang the engine today. Looking ahead what is the best order in which to do the baffle and cowl? What are the got ya's and tips to get it right?
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Re: FWF build order

Postby ScottM-Sonex1629 » Tue Dec 23, 2014 9:49 am

Dana:

If you look at my build photo log (ScottM-Sonex1629) in the photo journal you will see what I did. I took Mike Farley's advice and got to the stage you are at, then disassembled the rear accessory (X) mounting plate from the back of the engine, and installed this onto the engine mount by itself. I swore to myself this didn't make sense, but once you start to struggle with the rubber bushings on the engine mount tubes, you will understand this logic.

Do you have your firewall forward components all wired (coils, master relay, battery box etc.)? I think you do since I remember seeing your panel lit up. Get as much of this done without the engine in the way (but there is still plenty of room if you forgot something).

Once I was ready it took three of us literally 5 minutes to hang the engine on the X-plate. Two guys lifitng the Aerovee, one inserting the 4 bolts and starting to torque them down. With the engine reinstalled on the X-plate and the airframe you can then install the alternator/stator and line up the 6 mounting holes and reinstall the cap screws. I trial fitted my intake and AeroInjector but Mike is right when he told me it needs to come off again to work on the baffles.

I'm wrapping up my wiring then plan to start on the cowling and baffles. I understand the cowling needs to be fitted to completely finish the baffles...

Good luck!
Scott Meyer
Sonex 1629 - Sold...9/2019
ScottM-Sonex1629

Postby Gripdana » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:23 am

I need to wire the coils first. I am waiting for the store to open so I can get some 10-32 screws for the coils then I am as far as I can go on wiring without the engine. I am guessing I need to get the rear baffle in place first then work on the cowl then finish the baffle after the cowl is done. I think I will be alone for the engine mounting as I have been for almost all of the build.
Dana Baker
Scratch Built
First Flight March 8, 2015
Sonex #1534 - N1534S "Aluminum Foil"
Aerovee-Dual Controls-Tail Dragger
Gripdana

Postby SonexN76ET » Tue Dec 23, 2014 5:26 pm

For mounting the engine, everyone has there own way of doing things. I did not have an assistant so I did it a little different. I left my accessory plate on the engine and placed the engine on a table in front of the airplane. I put some pieces of wood under the engine so it would be the same height as the engine mount. Then I rolled the airplane up to the engine and on it went, all by myself in just a couple of minutes.

After the engine was mounted, I fit the cowling. I followed the Sonex directions and it went pretty smoothly.

I found the baffles to be very time consuming. It took me countless attempts to get them properly fitted to the cowling. I saw some photos where someone did their baffles RV style and I think if I ever have to do them again that is how I will do them. What I mean is that instead of the weather stripping on the edge of the Sonex baffles to instead use (on the edges) some three inch wide X 1/8 inch thick silicone baffle matterial and have that bent slightly inward, then when the engine is running it pushes the silicone back and up and forms a tight seal against the cowling. I think they have some aluminum guides mounted in a few places to keep the silicone in place. The good thing about this approach is that way the aluminum baffles do not have to be as precise. There are plenty of pictures online.

I would mount everything that you can on the firewall before you mount the engine. I recommend nut plates for almost everything on the firewall. I did not use nut plates for several items and it is very difficult now to go under the panel to tighten or remove something.
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Postby daleandee » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:01 pm

Last edited by daleandee on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daleandee

Postby SonexN76ET » Tue Dec 23, 2014 6:29 pm

Dana and Dale,

Yes, I would build my baffles just like Dale's. That would work so much better in my opinion. Dale, that is a neat looking engine!

Merry Christmas,

Jake
Sonex Tri Gear, Rotax 912 ULS, Sensenich 3 Blade Ground Adjustable Propeller
MGL Velocity EMS, Garmin GTR 200 Comm, GTX 335 ADS B Out Transponder
ILevil AW AHRS & ADS-B In, UAvionix AV20S
200+ hours previously with Aerovee engine
Sarasota, Florida
SonexN76ET

Return to Sonex Plans