F16-06 R/L need advise

Discussion for Sonex builders on specific plans page experience. These posts are limited to technical suggestions such as assembly order, challenges, or techniques related to specific plans pages.

F16-06 R/L need advise

Postby Sonex1542 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:49 pm

All-

Got a question about these 2 brackets. I made a slight mistake and drilled the holes too close to the angle. Between that and a 1/16-1/8 measurement on the fuse bottom leaves no room to put in cross members. Plus I up drilled so will need to get some oops rivets :oops:

1. Can I salvage the current bracket and re-dril next to the current holes? I'm thinking no.
If not...
2. Can I use a 3/16 x 2 1/2 angle (got plenty) instead of the 1/8 angle for these 2 brackets? I'm concerned that the extra 1/16 may somehow cause a problem.
3. Have to order more 2 1/2 angle?

You learn that some pieces allow for "close is good enough" and some just dont! This is not one where there is room for error.

Thanks
Alex
SNX-794. Formerly SNX-1542
Sonex1542

Re: F16-06 R/L need advise

Postby sonex1374 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:18 pm

From the pictures it looks like the holes are a bit close to the radius and the bottom edge, but nothing that looks really bad. These parts are not loaded that heavily, so the risk is pretty low I think. The more important factor is getting all the pieces to fit together properly. If they fit OK with the holes as they are, I think you're fine, as-is.

I would not drill new holes next to the old ones - the edge distance between the old holes and new ones will be low, and leaving the old holes open (without rivets in them) is poor practice (and looks wierd).

You might be able to substitue thicker angle, but again it comes down to how the parts fit together. Not having the plans in front of me I can't really remember if this is a concern for these angles.

If all else fails, switch gears to a different task for a bit and next time you put in an order to Spruce get some new angle and remake them.

Jeff
Jeff Shultz
Sonex TD, 3300, AeroInjector
Kansas City, MO
http://www.sonex604.com
sonex1374

Postby peter anson » Wed Nov 05, 2014 6:52 am

Make the parts to the plan and things will fit together properly. If you use the 3/16" angle it will most likely cause problems fitting two of the cabin floor channels (see F09). If you use the parts as-is you will have the same problem plus the gap for the control stick assembly will be too big.
Peter
Sonex 894
peter anson

Postby Sonex1542 » Thu Nov 06, 2014 12:44 pm

Thanks for the advise. I decided to play it all safe and just order new material. Considering that I'm scratch building it all, including controls, I wasn't concerned about the fit on the controls honestly. But at least now it's still exactly per plans.

It was just a case of, if I'm gonna do it, do it right. More scrap for the scrap pile.

Awaiting delivery of the fuel tank tomorrow. Hoping to close up the entire fuse sans the canopy and bottom rear this weekend. Need to start looking to store the fuse somewhere soon.
SNX-794. Formerly SNX-1542
Sonex1542

Return to Sonex Plans